_ultoa radix??

Kevin Doyle

Hi I just found this macro.
I want to convert a dword to string using this _ultoa but I don't understand
the radix part of the function.
what value of radix should I use so as not to effect the value being
converted?
Cheers,
Kevin.

Kevin Goodsell

Kevin said:
Hi I just found this macro.

What macro?
I want to convert a dword

No such thing in standard C++.
to string using this _ultoa

No such thing in standard C++.
but I don't understand
the radix part of the function.
what value of radix should I use so as not to effect the value being
converted?

Don't know. Not standard C++.

It looks like you forgot to read the welcome message before posting.

http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

-Kevin

Mike Wahler

Kevin Doyle said:
Would you please go and post in the moderated NG.
You are quite annoying.

Not nearly as annoying as those who post off-topic
questions, top-post, and post the same message separately
to more than one group instead of crossposting.

I've answered this same question you posted to
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ in that group.

-Mike

Kevin Goodsell

Kevin said:
Would you please go and post in the moderated NG.
You are quite annoying.

Because I'm feeling exceptionally generous today, I will not killfile
you just yet, nor will I notify your service provider's abuse department
about your abusive and insistently off-topic messages. You have one more
chance (though experience shows that people like you almost always blow
such a chance). If you have a C++ question or issue, you may find me and
the other members of this group to be a very valuable resource. But we
don't respond well to trolling, off-topic posting, unwarranted insults,
or poor netiquette.

HTH. HAND.

-Kevin

Andre Kostur

Hi I just found this macro.
I want to convert a dword to string using this _ultoa but I don't
understand the radix part of the function.
what value of radix should I use so as not to effect the value being
converted?

I'm afraid you're going to have to look it up in your compiler's
documentation. _ultoa is a platform-specific function. Although assuming
that the implementor is sane, I doubt that any value passed in for radix
would modify the input value (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by: "not
to effect the value being converted"".

Oliver S.

... nor will I notify your service provider's abuse department ...

I think no abuse-department cares about this minior "abuse".

Oliver S.

Hi I just found this macro.

_ultoa is not a macro.
what value of radix should I use so as not to effect the value being
converted?

Use 10 for decimal output and 16 for hex-output.

Kevin Goodsell

Oliver said:
I think no abuse-department cares about this minior "abuse".

You're probably right, but in the past people with similar attitudes and
behavior have escalated their behavior to the point that it's quite
clearly in violation of the service provider's terms of service. I guess
we'll see what happens in this case.

-Kevin

E. Robert Tisdale

Kevin said:
I just found this macro.
I want to convert a dword to string using this _ultoa
but I don't understand the radix part of the function.
What value of radix should I use
so as not to effect the value being converted?

I see that you've met our off-topic cops
and other indigenous trolls.

I used Google

http://www.google.com/

to search for

+"ultoa"

and found lots of stuff.

It isn't standard but implementations that do support it
require you to include cstdlib (or stdlib.h).
Good Luck and please don't hesitate to ask again
if you have any questions about C++.

Stephen Howe

Not nearly as annoying as those who ...top-post

Yet bottom-posters fail to prune unnecessary verbiage - a much much more
grevious sin.
Better those who top-post and prune than bottom-post and no prune.

Stephen Howe

Stephen Howe

Because I'm feeling exceptionally generous today

Yes, what an incredibly generous offer on your part. I am overwhelmed by
your magnaminity.
He has only posted 2 messages not half a dozen.

Stephen Howe

Kevin Goodsell

Stephen said:
Yet bottom-posters fail to prune unnecessary verbiage - a much much more
grevious sin.
Better those who top-post and prune than bottom-post and no prune.

I've almost never seen a top-poster prune.

Straight bottom-posting is not considered good, either. It's marginally
better than top-posting. The proper reply format is, of course, to leave
only the relevant context and place each section of the reply (perhaps
only one section) immediately below the section it pertains to.
"Bottom-posting" usually refers to the practice of quoting the entire
message and adding new text to the bottom.

-Kevin

Stephen Howe

Yes, what an incredibly generous offer on your part. I am overwhelmed by
I think I'd be insulted, if that were a word.
Swop 2nd n and m, I was typing fast.
It's half a dozen by my count.

Really? Google disagrees. It is 2 like I claimed. Check here in Google
http://groups.google.com/groups?saf...up=comp.lang.c++&as_usubject=_ultoa&lr=&hl=en
You will only find 2 posts by Kevin Doyle on subject "_ultoa radix??",
exactly what I stated. Where are your 6 by Kevin Doyle?

Stephen Howe

Tim Slattery

Kevin Doyle said:
Hi I just found this macro.
I want to convert a dword to string using this _ultoa but I don't understand
the radix part of the function.
what value of radix should I use so as not to effect the value being
converted?

1. Don't use _ultoa, use the Format method of CString with the %u
format specifier

2. Don't post Windows or MS VC++ specific questions here. A much
better place is the microsoft.public.vc.* hierarchy hosted on the
msnews.microsoft.com server.

Mike Wahler

Tim Slattery said:
1. Don't use _ultoa, use the Format method of CString with the %u
format specifier

2. Don't post Windows or MS VC++ specific questions here.

Please don't post Windows or MS specific answers either.
'CString' is not part of C++.

-Mike

Default User

Stephen said:
Yet bottom-posters fail to prune unnecessary verbiage - a much much more
grevious sin.
Better those who top-post and prune than bottom-post and no prune.

I agree in principle that many people (including some regulars here) do
a poor job of trimming. However, I've seldom seen a top-poster that
trimmed anything.

Brian Rodenborn

Kevin Goodsell

Default said:
Stephen Howe wrote:

He posted to more than one thread.

He also posted using more than 1 name.

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

For what it's worth Stephen, I apologize if I've offended you. My
tolerance for people who show no respect for the group is low, and I
tend to show little or no respect for them.

-Kevin