_vti_cnf folder in the bin folder-- a problem?

William LaMartin

For several weeks I have been trying to track down the cause of disappearing
session and application variables. At the site that gives me the problem--a
Microsoft FrontPage site--I note that there is a _vti_cnf folder inside the
bin folder. And in this folder there is a file called WebTest.dll. This is
really a text file and contains FrontPage data regarding modification dates,
etc. about the real WebTest.dll file that is in the bin folder.

Having read that any process accessing the bin folder can reset the session
variables, I wonder if there is something that could be accessing the
_vti_cnf folder inside the bin folder or the WebTest.dll text file there.

On my development computer the same setup gives no problem. However, after
that site's web hosting company moved the website into its own application
pool, sharing it with no one else, and the session variables still don't
persist, I am gasping at straws.

Oliver

You're probably on the right track. The FrontPage extensions higher up in
the directory structure may be "touching" your Web and making ASP.NET think
it should reset.

You might want to remove the FP extensions, post your files via FTP and see
what comes of it.

Also make sure your Web is not contained by any other Web Applications.