A connection to the server could not be estabishled

Donald French

I have been beating my head against the wall over this one. Everytime I try
to create a new web application I get this message. I have done the
following

uninstalled IIS
removed Inetpub
reinstalled IIS
ran aspnet_regiis
followed the directions in webserver.htm

Still get the message.

What am I missing?

Donald French

Donald French

VS2003 Enterprise.

Just uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Does the same. turned off firewall
still gives error. Use norton FW but have turned it off during these tests.

Donald French

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your posting. As for the unable to creating new aspnet project
problem, what's the complete error message you got when you encounter the
error? There is some known problems but the symptom are somewhat different.
Please have a check on this so that I can look for some former issues to
see whether there is anyone simliar to your scenario. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Donald French

The submect line is the error message given in quotes. Prior to that it says
"Web Server reported and error when attempting to create or open a Web
project located at the following URL: 'http://localhostWebProject1'. 'A
connection with the server cou;d not be established'.

I have turned off all firewalls as far as I know. Norton is disabled as is
the built in MS one.

Donald French

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your response. After searching some former issues, Curently I
think we can test from the following steps:
1. Check your OS version and IIS version. If there is exsiting asp.net
project on your machine, try open it to see whether you can open a existing
asp.net project.

2. In IIS, make sure your default site(http://localhost) 's ip address is
set to unassigned and is configured as a root application.

3. put a simple classic ASP page in the IIS's default site's root and visit
it to see whether it can work well.
If well,then try making request http://localhost/get_aspx_ver.aspx to see
what happen.
If the get_aspx_ver.aspx also works, then try create a simple test.aspx
page and tried browsing to
http://localhost/test.aspx to see whether it works.

If the above things not work, I'm afraid, there maybe something wrong with
your .net framework in addition to the IIS.

Please let me know what you get. Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

The testing idea Steven proposed is really worth it for testing such
issues!!!
Becos sometimes u can't really say what the cause of the error is..
I remembered "setting to unassigned and configuring as a root
application." solved my problem but that was when i was having the error
"ASP.NET 1.1 isn't installed on your server"..
Well try what Steven adviced..
Patrick