"A connection to the server could not be established" - Trying to open existing project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Buchan, Jul 7, 2003.

  1. Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan Guest

    I came in today and tried to edit a project that I was working with,
    locally, at the tail end of last week. This web project was created,
    hosted, and only edited locally.

    I truly cannot remember anything that I installed/changed on my
    workstation that could have goofed up my IIS, but I simply cannot get
    VS 2003 to be able to open an exiting or create a new web project.

    I have tried the following:
    * Uninstall and Reinstall IIS (making sure that FrontPage extensions
    are installed)
    * Put all but obvious '.Net Guest' accounts into both the
    'Administrators' and 'Debugger Users' Groups.
    * Reapplied WindowsXP Sp1 since I found an MSDN KB article about WinXP
    reporting this problem after installing IPv6 (which I have not done.)
    * Deleted all projects from my local machine, got latest version from
    Source Safe, set the project folders as 'Web Applications' and tried
    to open them.

    I have searched everywhere I know to look, including this news group.
    My next step (after I wait a few hours to see if there are any
    suggestions) is to uninstall VS.Net 2003, cross my fingers, and
    reinstall. Obviously, this is killing my productivity during a time
    that I just don't have much free time. (Do any of us have free time?)

    Thanks for any suggestions, including "Uninstall/Reinstall VS.Net
    2003".

    -Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan, Jul 7, 2003

  2. Kevin Buchan

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Alvin Bruney, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan Guest

    I had tried the first entry in the KB article you refenced, but had
    not tried the second part.

    <time passes>

    I have now tried both, including trying the first again after ensuring
    that the DLL is registered and I still get the same error either when
    pulling up an existing project or trying to create a new Web Project.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    -Kevin

    -Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan, Jul 7, 2003
  4. Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan Guest

    No other suggestions? OK, I'm going to reinstall VS.Net and report my
    results, in case anyone else runs across this problem.

    -Kevin

    Kevin Buchan, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan Guest

    OK, uninstalling IIS and VS.Net then reinstalling IIS and VS.Net has
    not worked either.... still researching a solution while my
    development is halted.

    -Kevin Buchan

    Kevin Buchan, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Kevin Buchan

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    is iis running when you try to open your project. verify this thru control
    manager. forgive me but we have to eliminate the obvious

    Alvin Bruney, Jul 9, 2003