Aborting Fucntions

Alan Fitch

Willem Oosthuizen said:
Does a return abort a function immediately? I wouls imagine so.

Yes, because VHDL functions cannot contain wait statements, or
assignments to external names (*), the function is guaranteed
to consume no time and have no side effects,

regards

Alan

(*) unless you use shared variables, but you wouldn't want
to do that, would you!

--
Alan Fitch
Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project
Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24
1AW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:
(e-mail address removed)
Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:
http://www.doulos.com

the
views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

MK

It depend what you mean "immediately".

Function does not contain any wait statement (just for if you mean any
simulation time elapsing).

Function can have declared files, which are closed automatically before you
leave the function.

regards,
MK.