Access denied on 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\....

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob, May 8, 2004.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I'm all of a sudden getting an access denied error on my web server when I
    access it from a browser:

    CS0016: Could not write to output file
    'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\projmgmt\ede965f0\db1b3c5e\thwdzsif.dll' -- 'Access is denied. '

    I understand that .NET was attempting to do a JIT compilation since this is
    a newer version (tested and ran well on another server). I also know that
    this is because some ACL somewhere is screwed up because if I put the ASPNET
    user in the Administrators group, which has full control to every directory
    on the server, it works. I looked at these microsoft docs Q317012 and
    Q271071, and checked that ASPNET has full control to the system TEMP folder
    as well as 'c:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET'.
    For now I was able to get around the issue by putting ASPNET in the
    Administrators group, hitting the site from a browser to let the JIT
    compilation go through, and then remove the ASPNET from Administrators,
    since the JIT comile only occurs once (if the assembly remains unchanged).
    However, this is clearly not a permanent solution. Does anyone know exactly
    which folder(s) the ASPNET user need full control access to in addition to
    the ones I mentioned above?

    Bob, May 8, 2004

  2. Bob

    Natty Gur Guest