"Access Denied" to sql server ....help...

dw

Hello...
I created an asp.net app that works great on my local
workstation. We are using forms based authentication and
I use the localhost IIS and a Sql Server on a different
server. The login page accepts a username and password
and then attempts to open a connection to the sql
server. As I wrote, this works fine on my machine.
However, now that the asp.net app has been copied to our
server....I get an error that access is denied or that
the sql server does not exist. I looked through all of
the msdn articles and various web sites to find a
solution...and none of them have helped. I made sure to
add the Asp.net user account to my sql server and set its
database permissions accordingly...yet still this error
persists.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks in advance,
dw

dw

Chris...thanks for the feedback. I'll check out that
link. I might not have been clear in my question, but I
don't think that I want to authenticate to a different
box. What needs to happen...is if someone browses to
this web site (from anywhere) they can input their user
login and password and once they're authenticated, they
can access the rest of the asp.net app. Shouldn't the
local asp.net user account on this server allow me to do
that? Or, do I still need to configure my app for
impersonation?

thank you,
dw

Chris Jackson

Impersonation is for authentication to other resources - which was what you
talked about in your original post. You can do forms authentication on
ASP.NET while using impersonation, if that is your question. But I thought
the problem was an access denied on your SQL Server box? That's what I was
trying to help you with.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer

Chris Jackson

So, you are dynamically building a connection string to your SQL Server to
include the user name and password that the user logs in with? Can you
sterilize and post the code that you use to do this?