Access is denied. / HTTP 500 – Internal server error

mangia

Hi,

Looking for what I changed and how to correct.

I have a Windows 2003 Sever that I have had running fine several .NET
websites for over a year now.

Today I decided to change my anonymous FTP site access from 'granted' and
denied' IP addresses to 'not anonymous’ and require username password access.
I created an ‘FTPGuest’ user account and gave it the file permissions I
wanted. Tested the FTP site access and it works fine from within the LAN
and/or from outside the WAN.

However, now when I attempt to access my website I receive an IE webpage
that ONLY SAYS “Access is denied.â€, and nothing else. I see no error or
information in the Event logs. I spent most of the afternoon playing with
Permissions, User Accounts and Directory Security settings, but nothing has
helped.

A couple clues maybe:
1) Windows 2003 server, Windows XP client and Windows 2000 clients, all
logged into the local domain on different user accounts get the same error
message “Access is denied.†(NOTE: With IE ‘Show Friendly HTTP Error’ set
the error is “This page cannot be displayed. HTTP 500 – Internal server
error")
2) Windows 2000 client can still run and debug VS.Net web apps and access
Windows 2003 server and MS SQL Server fine.

Any ideas?? I’d rather not have to reinstall ïŠ

Chris

mangia

Yes, I will. I don't think this is an IE or XP SP2 or client problem at all.
It would seen to me that if if changed my FTP site back to anonymous access
that that would fixed the website issue... but NOT.

The HTTP 500 error happens quickly... the server is not doing much!

Chris

Anabela Silva

hi there,

if you want to know specifically wich problem is happening go to
Tools\Internet Options \ Advanced Tab and uncheck "Show friendly HTPP
error messages"

it will help you to know better the problem and maybe to solve it

best regards,

Anabela

mangia

Yes thank you,

IE message is simply “Access is denied.†(see initial post)