Accessing properties when control loaded dynamically

Vivek Sharma

Hi There,

I have a situation where I wish to load the controls dynamically on the
basis of user role. Hence, I am using this code.
if (UserRole == "IS Administrator")

{

Control UC1 = LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobGeneral.ascx");

plhISGeneral.Controls.Add(UC1);

System.Web.UI.Control UC =
Page.LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobAdmin.ascx");

plhISAdmin.Controls.Add(UC);

}

else

{

System.Web.UI.Control UC1 =
Page.LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobGeneral.ascx");

plhISGeneral.Controls.Add(UC1);

}

My problem is on the click of the button (which is not included within the
control) I am unable to access the properties of the user controls. How can
I access the properties?

Please help.

Viverk

Karl Seguin

You need to cast the controls to their appropriate type, else they are just
Controls and only expose Control properties and methods.

if ur uctlJobGeneral.ascs looks like:

public class JobGeneral : UserControl

you could do

JobGeneral UC1 =
(JobGeneral)LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobGeneral.ascx");

Karl

Vivek Sharma

Hi There,

I tried what you suggested. This is my complete code on the page
using System;

using System.Collections;

using System.ComponentModel;

using System.Data;

using System.Drawing;

using System.Web;

using System.Web.SessionState;

using System.Web.UI;

using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

using AgogeNet.COM;

using AgogeNet.UserControls.ISJob;

namespace AgogeNet.ISJob

{

/// <summary>

/// Summary description for _default.

/// </summary>

public class _default : System.Web.UI.Page

{

protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm logout;

protected Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.TabStrip TabISJob;

protected Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.MultiPage mpISJob;

protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton lbtnLogout;

protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.PlaceHolder plhISAdmin;

protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button Submit;

protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.PlaceHolder plhISGeneral;

//and placing it in a placeholder

if(!Page.IsPostBack)

{

string UserRole = Session["UserRole"].ToString();

if (UserRole == "IS Administrator")

{

uctlJobGeneral UC1 =
(uctlJobGeneral)LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobGeneral.ascx");

plhISGeneral.Controls.Add(UC1);

uctlJobAdmin UC =
(uctlJobAdmin)LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobAdmin.ascx");

plhISAdmin.Controls.Add(UC);

}

else

{

System.Web.UI.Control UC1 =
Page.LoadControl("../UserControls/ISJob/uctlJobGeneral.ascx");

plhISGeneral.Controls.Add(UC1);

//

//

InitializeComponent();

base.OnInit(e);

}

/// <summary>

/// </summary>

private void InitializeComponent()

{

this.Submit.Click += new System.EventHandler(this.Submit_Click);

#endregion

private void Submit_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

string JobType = UC1.JobTypeValue.ToString();

When I try to run the website it gives me an error saying that UC1 is not
defined.