Adding users

Guest

Hi
I am writing an application to allow user to add user entries to AD in both
interactive (with a browser), and batch (browser with file upload) mode.
There are also predefined mechanisms to handle name crash, to implement
those, I guess I can either do it before calling the Add (with
DirectorySearcher) or I can do it while calling the Add and handle the
exceptions. Here are my questions

1. with your expert opinion / experience, would you suggest me to do it
before or after calling the Add?
2. should I put the predefined mechanisms into a class file, such that both
interactive / batch mode can share the same logic?

would you shed some light on these please?

TIA

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

I would recommend that you do the validations proactively using the
DirectorySearcher as it will be much easier to determine what is wrong using
that approach. The "constraint violation" errors you get are not
terrifically helpful for providing user feedback.

I would also recommend you build some kind of business object model to
handle all of the AD interaction so that you have more flexibility with how
you "front-end" it and how you test it.

Joe K.