Adding validation controls programmatically

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, May 11, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am creating a server control that adds web controls (i.e. textboxes, etc) to a form. I use HtmlTable to build the table and insert the controls. Now I want to add validators to the textbox. Here is the code that I am using

    bool lastnamerequired=false
    public bool LastNameRequire

    get{return lastnamerequired;
    set{lastnamerequired = value;

    if(lastnamerequired

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.RequiredFieldValidator rfv = new RequiredFieldValidator()
    rfv.ControlToValidate = "sFirstName"
    rfv.Display = ValidatorDisplay.Dynamic
    rfv.Text = ""
    rfv.ErrorMessage = "Required"
    rfv.EnableClientScript = true
    rfv.ID = "rfvFirstName"
    td.Controls.Add(rfv)

    This code seems to only add the word "Required" to my form when rendered. It's not dynamic nor does it go away when the field is valid

    Any ideas

    Guest, May 11, 2004

    Peter Blum Guest

    Are you adding these controls in the PreRender stage? Validators must be
    setup prior to PreRender because they have to be able to run their own
    OnPreRender method. That method outputs the necessary javascript for
    validation and converts the IsValid property into the shown or hidden <span>
    tag as the page is initially drawn.

    --- Peter Blum
    www.PeterBlum.com
    Email:
    http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx

    Peter Blum, May 11, 2004

    Guest Guest

    That would make sense. Can you show me an example to illustrate

    Thanks.

    Guest, May 11, 2004