Advanced (MVP) Question: How VS.NET creates web folders

JV

I'm trying to understand how ASP.NET creates web folders when it creates a
new ASP.NET project. I am experienced with DotNet development, but not an
expert on how IIS works. Or, this may be a question about FP Server
Extensions.....

When you create a web project in the default way, VS.NET has no trouble
browsing for files. However, I like to keep all of my projects under a
folder structure like C:\PROJECTS\ with a subfolder for each solution, and
folders under those for each project in the solution. Example:

C:\PROJECTS\MySolution1\ (solution files)
C:\PROJECTS\MySolution1\WebProject1 (WebProject1 project
files)
C:\PROJECTS\MySolution1\ClassLib1 (ClassLib1 project
files)
etc.

You can, of course, create virtual folders either in IIS or via Windows
Explorer (folder properties, "Web Sharing" tab, etc.). However, when you
create those with the same permissions, VS.NET has trouble accessing files
in them and it cannot browse files (for example, try adding an existing file
from that folder to the project ).

Is there some way I can create my projects in the above folder structure and
still keep the usual VS.NET capabilities?

Ken Schaefer

VS.NET has two ways of manipulating files on the remote server:
a) FPSE (basically over HTTP)
b) via SMB (connecting to a hidden wwwroot$ share on the remote server)

If you are using FPSE, then you need to ensure that FPSE is configured for
the website in question.

If you are using the wwwroot$ share, then adding virtual directories in IIS
isn't going to help at all, because those aren't visible when connecting via
SMB to \\server\wwwroot$ To use fireshare mode when connecting to something
other than the default wwwroot$ share, you can use the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q320265

Now, I'm not an expert on VS.NET, so I may be offbase with my speculation
here...

Cheers
Ken

:
[...]

That's an interesting article, and thanks for drawing it to my attention but
it doesn't actually fix the problem. It does seem to explain why the
problem happens. I'm sure that would probably work if I were not addressing
a web server on my local machine, but it seems to be "too smart" to let me
do that on my local machine. It never gives an error, it just goes ahead
and creates the project with the same access problem.

I guess it's just a shortcoming of VS.NET for now. It sure would be nice if
they would address it in the next release.

Ken Schaefer

I'm not really sure I understand the situation you are in. However if my
intepretation of what you're saying is correct, then if you connect using
FPSE rather than SMB, you should be fine.

Cheers
Ken

--
Blog: www.adopenstatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/

[...]