advantages of moving to asp.net

John South

Hi

I've developed a web service that allows people to easily set-up their own
websites, and keep them up-to-date themseves. It's all done in standard ASP
and SQL 2000.
You can see it here: www.up-to-the-minute.com

It's still early days but if I'm going to convert to asp.net I guess I
should do it soon.
Can anyone suggest the top 3 benefits I'll get from doing the conversion now
rather than piling in more features in ASP?

John South
Pangbourne UK

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

1. Separation of code and UI. Easier to maintain. NOTE: Gets even easier
next year with Whidbey.
2. Better performance in most cases.
3. Code compiled and hidden better from prying eyes.

The biggest question is whether you have the time now. If not, you may have
to hold off. But, when will you find the time.

NOTE: You can mix ASP.NET and ASP, although you will have to consult the MS
MSDN site for the article on how to share session between the two systems.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Peter Blum

1. Object oriented platform. You will use objects like web controls and
develop your own to make more reusability.
2. Web controls and User Controls. Web controls are objects that output HTML
based on a wide variety of configuration properties. User Controls allow you
to build common groups of controls that you can plug into many pages, like
headers, menus, and much more.
3. Extensive class library. This is huge (not just the size of it). It means
that people have carefully designed and debugged a huge variety of reusable
code for you in all kinds of topics that you've dreamed of having. (Email,
writing to the event log, managing javascript, working with databases,
working with XML, etc.)
4. (Yup, I couldn't stop at 3.) No more COM needed. No more ActiveXs needed.
Both the server and client side have a more natural set up tools. The server
side has those classes in "assembly" files that replace COM. They are really
easy to hookup and without any registry issues. Web controls generate normal
HTML and JavaScript to accomplish most tasks. They don't need ActiveXs in
most cases.
5. Since you are creating web sites that others can use: deployment is far
simpler. Usually you can just copy the entire contents of the web app folder
to another server and tell IIS to consider it an Application. That's it.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx