Adventure-Engines in Python

Wildemar Wildenburger

Are there any?

I've set out to make an adventure game and now I'm trying to find a set
of python-modules to help me do that. I know of the usual non-python
suspects (AGAST, AGS, Wintermute, ...) and while I they are really good,
I'd like one that is cross platform.

I've found pyScumm and pyAdv but both don't seem to be ready for use
yet. So are there any "usable" engines written in python?

/W

Neil Cerutti

An adventure game was written for one of the PyWeek challenges:

http://www.pyweek.org/e/aerunthar/

You might be able to use that as a starting point.

Here's an abondoned (since Python 2.2), but basically complete
system:

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.wolf/PAWS.htm

For a taste of what it looked like, see the PAWS section of Roger
Firth's IF system comparison page, _Cloak of Darkness_.

http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/
http://www.firthworks.com/roger/cloak/paws/index.html

This contains a P.A.W.S version of the very simple example game.
The author of the example is somewhat suspect, however.

As far as I know, no full game was ever written in PAWS. Once you
try it, you'll possibly see why no interactive fiction system
distributed as a library for a general-purpose language has ever
caught on. Every system that's enjoyed even moderate success has
been a language+library implementation.