Advice for a newby....

EricJapan

Hey everyone

I'm trying to build my next generation website about Japanese video
games. I built my first one using frames, but I often want to provide
an outside link to a specific system that's buried pretty deep within
the site. Obviously with frames I can't do that...

What's the latest info on the best way to make navigation bars that
still allow for that? What does a common person as myself (not a pro
web designer) usually use? I just want the standard left frame (or
similar) with links to the different categories in my site, nothing
fancy. I'd also like the ability to bookmark specific pages.

I built my first site with FrontPage, mostly by trial and error. I'm
building my new site with Dreamweaver and I'm reading Dreamweaver
unleashed. I'm basically self taught and self studied so there are
some gaps in my knowledge.

I was going to make a template with an iframe, possibly put into a
table or a layer. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

mbstevens

EricJapan said:
[...]

Just put the navigation on every page:
Preprocess the pages or generate them.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/links/preprocessors.html
http://learn.perl.org/
http://htmlgoodies.earthweb.com/beyond/ssi.html

Travis Newbury

EricJapan said:
Hey everyone
I'm trying to build my next generation website about Japanese video
games. I built my first one using frames, but I often want to provide
an outside link to a specific system that's buried pretty deep within
the site. Obviously with frames I can't do that...

Sure you can, you just don't understand how.