Advice Needed.

WStoreyII

This question is for all of the developers out there. I recently had to
drop out of school as it was getting way to expensive and i just could not
pay it. I am really upset about this becuase i really want to become a
computer programmer. I dont have any degrees or certificates or any other
formal training. But i do learn quick. Now i am not asking for a job from
anyone ( although any offers would be nice). I am asking more for any
advice that can be offered on getting a foot in to the door of the
information and software engineering market, considering my current status.
I mean even if i had a degree, everyone wants experience (not that i blame
them) but because of this how can i get a job in this market. To where i can
get the exprierience that i need. For example a lot of the jobs that i see
ask for employees who can work with word and other ms office applications. I
can use these programs and picked it up just by using them, but
unfortunately i do not have any documentation showing my knowledge of these
programs nor can i get a job working with them to learn to use them in a
sense that is practical to them. So how can i get to this point. I dont
know if any one here has had this problem or if you even understand what i
am asking for. But if you do and you have any advice for me, please share
it.

WStoreyII

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

do you live in america? if you do, there are millions of dollars in
scholarship money - pell grants, instate tuition waivers and on and on and
on. you should try to get back into school. otherwise, if you can't, pick
one of them large companies and start out small, mail boy. hard work can get
you anywhere.

WStoreyII

Alvin,
I had a scholarship and the montgomery gi bill but it was not covering the
tuition and i dont have the time (as i work fifty hour weeks) to go to
community college.

I would be interested in geting in to a company entry level that is what i
want. But how can i with no experience? How does getting a job like that
work i am new to this alls i have ever worked was sales, millitary and fast
food.

WStoreyII

Thanks for the advice.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
WStoreyII said:
[...]

Joined
Nov 24, 2022
Messages
73
Reaction score
7
[...]

Don't listen to this guy that wants You to work hard. You will only waste your time while You should be thinking and watching the environment. You should work smart, have time to rest, seek for new opportunites... You will not get another life. People never should work hard, we have so many many tools to use and make our work easy. My mother worked hard whole her life and in the age of 70 we have nothing to talk about, if I ask her(I have a lot of questions) "what do You think about .." she mostly says "I don't know". And be ready and prepared to meet people which will be telling You "You know nothing" and "everything You do is wrong!" wherever it's true or not. And the best thing is to create Your own tools. The cheapest ones are that You make on Your computer.

Last edited: