Advice Needed.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by WStoreyII, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. WStoreyII

    WStoreyII Guest

    This question is for all of the developers out there. I recently had to
    drop out of school as it was getting way to expensive and i just could not
    pay it. I am really upset about this becuase i really want to become a
    computer programmer. I dont have any degrees or certificates or any other
    formal training. But i do learn quick. Now i am not asking for a job from
    anyone ( although any offers would be nice). I am asking more for any
    advice that can be offered on getting a foot in to the door of the
    information and software engineering market, considering my current status.
    I mean even if i had a degree, everyone wants experience (not that i blame
    them) but because of this how can i get a job in this market. To where i can
    get the exprierience that i need. For example a lot of the jobs that i see
    ask for employees who can work with word and other ms office applications. I
    can use these programs and picked it up just by using them, but
    unfortunately i do not have any documentation showing my knowledge of these
    programs nor can i get a job working with them to learn to use them in a
    sense that is practical to them. So how can i get to this point. I dont
    know if any one here has had this problem or if you even understand what i
    am asking for. But if you do and you have any advice for me, please share
    it.

    WStoreyII

    WStoreyII, Jul 3, 2004

  2. do you live in america? if you do, there are millions of dollars in
    scholarship money - pell grants, instate tuition waivers and on and on and
    on. you should try to get back into school. otherwise, if you can't, pick
    one of them large companies and start out small, mail boy. hard work can get
    you anywhere.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Jul 3, 2004

  3. WStoreyII

    WStoreyII Guest

    Alvin,
    I had a scholarship and the montgomery gi bill but it was not covering the
    tuition and i dont have the time (as i work fifty hour weeks) to go to
    community college.

    I would be interested in geting in to a company entry level that is what i
    want. But how can i with no experience? How does getting a job like that
    work i am new to this alls i have ever worked was sales, millitary and fast
    food.

    WStoreyII

    Thanks for the advice.

    WStoreyII, Jul 3, 2004