Altera to Xilinx

Ronny Hengst

Hi everybody

I have my code synthezied to an Altera FPGA and I want to change to a Xilinx
FPGA. What Problems or Task have to be managed?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Andras Tantos

Hi everybody
The pinout will be different for one thing.

If your code infers registers, counters, ram etc.,
all you have to do is a synth compile for the new device.

If your code instances registers, counters, ram etc. from
an Altera code generator, it's a redo.

One difference I found was that the Altera block-RAM implementation allowed
async reads while the Xilinx version supported sync reads only. This can
cause truble depending on your desing. If you infer a sync write-async read
RAM in Xilinx it will be implemented in distributed RAM instead of
block-RAMs. I also seem to recall that the Altera FIFO implementation had a
data-counter while the Xilinx version supported only the empty/full flags.
Xilinx FIFOs can't hold the output data indefinitely (due to the sync RAM
read behind the scenes) so you might have to add another layer of
registers/latches, again, depeding on your desing.

Regards,
Andras Tantos