Alternative to smartnavigation (for non-ie browsers)

Wysiwyg

Has anyone found a reasonable way to emulate smartnavigation functionality
for any browser? I'd really like to avoid creating history entries when
posting back to the same page.

SmartNavigation takes care of the annoying problem caused by creating a new
history entry when a page posts to itself. Only Internet Explorer will
support this functionality. When SmartNavigation is enabled the client
executes javascript code from the SmartNav.js script file which, not
suprisingly, doesn't contain code for non-IE client browsers. I doubt
non-Microsoft browser vendors will adopt Microsoft's JavaScript standards.

With JSP I used to do things like post to an update page, execute a
"window.history.go(-1);" after the load completes and then force a reload of
the original page. I doubt forcing a javascript "window.history.go(-1)"
conditionally during the postback would work all that great with dot net.

Thanks!
Bill

John Saunders

Wysiwyg said:
[...]

My solution to this problem is to not use SmartNavigation at all. That way,
all browsers are equal, instead of having IE suffering problems from
SmartNavigation and the others not.

Wysiwyg

My question was about finding alternatives to SmartNavigation so I wouldn't
have to use it. As I stated - I want to avoid creating history entries when
posting back to the page and would like to know if anyone has come up with
an alternative to SmartNet which accomplishes this.