Am I missing something here?

Guest

In VS 2003 when I created a web application, I was able to drag and drop
controls on it like a windows form.

In VS 2005, I have no control on where on the page to position these items,
only to place them on the page, then try to manipulate them with the space
bar or carriage returns.

What do I not have turned on in VS 2005 to make this work? I hope this was
not taken away as this will be 2-3 times the work for my designing.

S. Justin Gengo

Delphin,

By default VS2003 set the pages to use absolute positioning by setting the
pageLayout property to Grid Layout. Most developers hated that and
immediately set that page property to Flow Layout. The problem was that most
browsers render what was generated by Grid Layout very differently. Turning
that off by default was (I think I heard) one of the changes most requested
by developers. I prefer it that way so I'm very happy...

Anyway, in VS2005 there may be a way to turn it on. For certain you could
set it in your style sheet...

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Juan T. Llibre

Go to "Tools", "Options", click on "Show all settings",
navigate down the left to "HTML Designer", and open
to "CSS Positioning". Select it ( highlight it... ) and check
the positioning options checkbox.

Change it to "Absolutely positioned", if it's not selected.

Additionally, select the "Snap pixel-based position..." checkbox,
and adjust the snap to the granularity you desire.

OK your way out.

Now after you drop any visual objects on the page
( only in design mode, of course ) you can position them
by dragging and placing them where you want to.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
=============================

S. Justin Gengo

Cool,

Thanks Juan, I knew it had to be in there somewhere, but I hadn't run into
it yet. I'm just getting my feet wet with 2005 and so far I've only had time
to dip in my toes...

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Juan T. Llibre

You're welcome, Justin.

Some of us know about some things,
and others know about some other things.

Between us, we all help one another.

I've been enjoying the level of your responses here.
Keep up the good work!