    list <http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers>. If you prefer to use
    a newsgroup interface that mailing list is also available as a newsgroup on at
    gmane: <

    Fredrik Jonson, Apr 2, 2011

  2. Only if you have a thick skin.

    Android is a bit of a shock to the system to many of the corporate code-
    cutter drones who normally hang out here.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2011

  3. Android isn't - many of the hide-bound, ossified clients or companies we
    work for have aggressive mobile strategies, including Android. _You_ are
    a bit of a shock to the system.

    AHS
    --
    That's not the recollection that I recall...All this information is
    certainly in the hands of the auditor and we certainly await his report

    Arved Sandstrom, Apr 2, 2011
  4. :)

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 2, 2011
  5. It's better than "coding monkeys" :)

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 2, 2011
  6. Fredrik Jonson

    Lew Guest

    Of course it is. This /is/ a Java newsgroup, after all.

    Lew, Apr 2, 2011
  7. Fredrik Jonson

    Lew Guest

    "Many" being a number between zero and zero, since no one who fits that
    description hangs out here, "normally" or otherwise.

    You also have to consider the source with that remark, which would lead an
    intelligent person to discount any possibility of merit.

    Lew, Apr 2, 2011
  8. Fredrik Jonson

    Roedy Green Guest

    I find it distressing how rude people are both requesting help and
    offering it. A cheap way to put a comedy show on the air is just have
    people insult each other. I think a whole new generation has grown up
    thinking of insult as a form of entertainment.

    The Internet isolates people from a punch in the nose, being screamed
    at, threatened or other physical retaliation. You see the same effect
    then when people are isolated in cars. They behave quite differently
    than they would face to face.

    Roedy Green, Apr 2, 2011
  9. Fredrik Jonson

    Lew Guest

    From a pragmatic standpoint, Android is a lucrative gold-rush land for Java
    developers, but one must strive mightily to succeed over the herd of other
    prospectors staking Android claims in dreams of easy riches. The putative
    crowd of cljp denizens comprises an already committed, skilled subgroup of
    Java programmers who would thus naturally have both an interest and an edge in
    that competition.

    Lew, Apr 2, 2011
  10. If you're talking mass market apps, that's true.
    However, there's plenty of niches for custom apps for control
    applications for non mass market hardware eg instrumentation etc.

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 2, 2011
  11. Who says I was referring to the helpful ones?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2011
  12. As Roedy Green has pointed out elsewhere, this is a world with a much
    shorter attention span. Frankly, I don’t think most big corporates have the
    agility to cope.
    :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2011
  13. How long ago was that, if you don’t mind my asking? :)

    (I graduated with an MSc in computer science in 1985, if that helps to even
    the score.)

    I remember the last interesting things I heard coming out of Xerox PARC was
    their idea of “boardsâ€, “pads†and “tabsâ€, which were three different sizes
    of wirelessly-networked keyboardless computers. All user data lived in the
    cloud, so you could go into any office, pick up any one of these devices,
    and have all your own data immediately to hand.
    Amen to that. Though some see that is simply giving more power to the
    handset makers and the network operators...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 2, 2011
  14. Fredrik Jonson

    Tom Anderson Guest

    It is? Is anyone making serious P from Android apps? I know a few people
    involved in iPhone apps; none of them have made more than beer money
    (well, champagne money, perhaps) from apps they've written themselves, and
    one who's contracting to write apps for companies is not exactly coining
    it in. Those in my professional circle sweating away in the e-commerce
    contracting mines are certainly commanding higher day rates. I can't
    imagine Android apps are much different.
    Ah - is your metaphor that many will pan the rivers in vain, but the lucky
    few will hit paydirt and become so rich they're paying for the finest
    floozies in Sacramento with bags of gold dust? Again, has anyone actually
    achieved this? I suppose Roxio probably have; i don't know how much of
    that money is going to developers rather than some kind of suited people.
    Apparently a chap called Yong Zhang has made a colossal amount of money
    from a range of emulators for old video game consoles. Anyone else?

    tom

    Tom Anderson, Apr 3, 2011
  15. Fredrik Jonson

    Lew Guest

    There will be rumors of the lucky few, but yes.
    The opportunities for enrichment are similar to those in and around Sutter's
    Mill, California, in 1849.
    If you want to work for a company that develops for Android, it would be nice
    to have the skills.

    Lew, Apr 3, 2011
  16. For Android development questions, OK to ask here ?

    [email protected], Apr 3, 2011
  17. Can be a two-edged sword. There have been some high-profile failures of
    cloud services.

    I don’t think the PARC researchers envisioned that these mobile devices
    would have gigabytes of storage on them—enough to do a lot without reference
    to any cloud.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 3, 2011
  18. [ SNIP ]

    True agility (not "agile" in the methodology sense) gives you just that
    - shorter time-to-market with an equally capable, equal-quality product.
    And there's no question that smaller teams with fewer formal
    stakeholders, and less rigid process, and fewer managers, can often beat
    the big boys. In other words, for the same end-result they are faster.

    The downside to being "agile" is that often conservatism and process is
    a good thing. Above I qualified carefully: equally capable, and
    equal-quality. What actually happens in real life is that the small
    teams are often faster...and that's all they are. Nice feature-set, but
    badly-tested bug-ridden software, with little or no thought given to how
    it fits into a larger ecosystem (because this small, "agile" team is
    isolated).

    What frequently happens is that the megacorps - with their professional
    developers - simply snap up the ideas, once they start to prove out in
    the market, maybe keeping one or two of the salvageable original "agile"
    coders. The professional developers - the "drones" - are the ones that
    actually fix the original code and rewrite it and make it work.
    Sometimes (read often) they turf the original codebase because it's so
    awful, and only keep the good ideas.

    It only seems like there is a magical, quick road to product. There
    really isn't.

    AHS

    Arved Sandstrom, Apr 3, 2011
  19. When I first started work 2GB of storage took up a whole building of one
    of the biggest computer time sharing companies in the UK - Comshare:
    http://www.answers.com/topic/comshare-inc

    They have done well to survive

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 3, 2011
  20. Fredrik Jonson

    vjp2.at Guest

    When I got a PPC machine and a Linux machine, I thought I would be able to
    gain portability with Java apps.. but that was a mirage.. the only machine I
    own where Java works is XP pro. I don't get why Android can't run Java well.
    I tis pretty silly from my view.

    - = -
    http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

    vjp2.at, May 4, 2011