    can I develop android apps using ruby ?

    Is there any cross compiler or any other tool available for this purpose
    ?

    Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan, Jun 16, 2010

  2. Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Jun 16, 2010

  3. JRuby?

    Andrew Kaspick, Jun 16, 2010

  4. Is it stable enough ? Does it have any issues right now ?

    Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan, Jun 17, 2010
  5. Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan

    Josh Cheek Guest

    Is it stable enough ? Does it have any issues right now ?[/QUOTE]

    I am also curious as to the state of Android dev with JRuby. And if Charles
    reads this, I am willing to put in some time to help with the domain of
    application (though it should be understood that I do have a paying job), I
    have a friend I've been teaching Ruby, but he's been a bit aloof. He used
    Python to host a server, and Java to get his phone to connect to it, I
    wouldn't mind being able to help him set up a JRuby app on his phone, and
    would be willing to use as much of my understanding as possible.

    If that is not going to happen for quite a while, I wouldn't mind knowing
    this either, sot hat i dont accidentally promise things I can't deliver.

    Josh Cheek, Jun 17, 2010
  6. So here's the skinny on Ruby on Android (which I've dubbed "Ruboto")

    * JRuby itself works out of the box, so you can incorporate it into
    any app and start running Ruby code.
    * There is a demo application on the marketplace called "Ruboto IRB"
    that includes a console, editor, and sample scripts.
    * The Ruboto IRB project is hosted at http://github.com/ruboto/ruboto-irb.
    * The Ruboto mailing list is "ruboto" on google groups:
    http://groups.google.com/group/ruboto
    * There is a Ruby Summer of Code project in progress to make Ruby on
    Android a clean and simple affair, including things like app
    generators, API wrappers, etc.
    * The Ruboto web page will be at http://ruboto.org, but it's
    in-progress at the moment.

    There's room for anyone to jump in and contribute, and of course the
    toolchain for Android apps is totally free and there's no restrictions
    on what languages you can use in your apps :) What a crazy concept!

    - Charlie

    I am also curious as to the state of Android dev with JRuby. And if Charles
    reads this, I am willing to put in some time to help with the domain of
    application (though it should be understood that I do have a paying job), I
    have a friend I've been teaching Ruby, but he's been a bit aloof. He used
    Python to host a server, and Java to get his phone to connect to it, I
    wouldn't mind being able to help him set up a JRuby app on his phone, and
    would be willing to use as much of my understanding as possible.

    If that is not going to happen for quite a while, I wouldn't mind knowing
    this either, sot hat i dont accidentally promise things I can't deliver.
    [/QUOTE]

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 17, 2010

  7. There's the question of preferred language. Personally, I'd prefer to =
    code for the Iphone using Ruby and hope Apple eventually lets MacRuby =
    into their garden.

    The other question is how successful of a market will Android become =
    among non-techies given its unrestrained openness.

    Jose
    Jose Hales-Garcia
    UCLA Department of Statistics

    Jose Hales-Garcia, Jun 17, 2010
  8. to code for the Iphone using Ruby and hope Apple eventually lets MacRuby in=
    to their garden.
    g non-techies given its unrestrained openness.

    I fail to see how unrestrained openness would negatively impact the
    success of the Android marketplace. More bad apps will slip through,
    but you can rate those suckers into the ground if you choose.

    Given the explosion of choice in Android devices and the openness of
    its tooling, OS, and market, I think it's a pretty good bet to start
    getting into Android development now.

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 17, 2010
  9. Yacobus Reinhart, Jun 17, 2010
  10. I don't find the Rhomobile way very appealing. I want to be able to
    call into all the Android APIs, write interactive 2D graphical apps,
    and basically have the entire world of Java libraries available to me.
    Rhomobile seems like a lowest-common-denominator platform, where
    lowest can mean some pretty primitive Blackberry devices. Ruboto is
    aimed at Android and Android alone, and (if I have anything to say
    about it) will not limit what parts of the platform you can use.

    FWIW, I think Rhomobile is a fine approach if you want to have a very
    simple web-like application that installs locally and works on several
    platforms. Of course, I can suggest another option for that: the web
    itself :)

    - Charlie

    Charles Oliver Nutter, Jun 18, 2010
  11. Web is ok, unless you need to access gps or other hw.

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 18, 2010
  12. Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan

    Ed Howland Guest

    Ed Howland, Sep 14, 2010

  13. This question comes up repeatedly on the MacRuby mailing list. Here's =
    the latest thread on the subject...

    =
    http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macruby-devel/2010-September/005987.=
    html

    Jose Hales-Garcia, Sep 14, 2010
  14. Possible, but why would you want to? Apple has already demonstrated that they
    are willing to cripple your development efforts on a whim. If the situation is
    better now, it's entirely because Apple deigns to allow it.

    Why on earth would you target a platform like that?

    David Masover, Sep 14, 2010
  15. Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan

    Ed Howland Guest

    I think I agree w/you that android is a better dev target, but I was
    thinking of X-Platform development (Both Android and iPhone)

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland
    http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com