Android apps using ruby

Lakshmanan Muthukrishnan

Hi,

I just like to build apps for Android apps. I am a rubyist btw, and how
can I develop android apps using ruby ?

Is there any cross compiler or any other tool available for this purpose

?

JRuby?

Josh Cheek

Is it stable enough ? Does it have any issues right now ?[/QUOTE]

I am also curious as to the state of Android dev with JRuby. And if Charles
reads this, I am willing to put in some time to help with the domain of
application (though it should be understood that I do have a paying job), I
have a friend I've been teaching Ruby, but he's been a bit aloof. He used
Python to host a server, and Java to get his phone to connect to it, I
wouldn't mind being able to help him set up a JRuby app on his phone, and
would be willing to use as much of my understanding as possible.

If that is not going to happen for quite a while, I wouldn't mind knowing
this either, sot hat i dont accidentally promise things I can't deliver.

Charles Oliver Nutter

So here's the skinny on Ruby on Android (which I've dubbed "Ruboto")

* JRuby itself works out of the box, so you can incorporate it into
any app and start running Ruby code.
* There is a demo application on the marketplace called "Ruboto IRB"
that includes a console, editor, and sample scripts.
* The Ruboto IRB project is hosted at http://github.com/ruboto/ruboto-irb.
* The Ruboto mailing list is "ruboto" on google groups:
http://groups.google.com/group/ruboto
* There is a Ruby Summer of Code project in progress to make Ruby on
Android a clean and simple affair, including things like app
generators, API wrappers, etc.
* The Ruboto web page will be at http://ruboto.org, but it's
in-progress at the moment.

There's room for anyone to jump in and contribute, and of course the
toolchain for Android apps is totally free and there's no restrictions
on what languages you can use in your apps :) What a crazy concept!

- Charlie

Is it stable enough ? Does it have any issues right now ?

I am also curious as to the state of Android dev with JRuby. And if Charles
reads this, I am willing to put in some time to help with the domain of
application (though it should be understood that I do have a paying job), I
have a friend I've been teaching Ruby, but he's been a bit aloof. He used
Python to host a server, and Java to get his phone to connect to it, I
wouldn't mind being able to help him set up a JRuby app on his phone, and
would be willing to use as much of my understanding as possible.

If that is not going to happen for quite a while, I wouldn't mind knowing
this either, sot hat i dont accidentally promise things I can't deliver.
[/QUOTE]

Jose Hales-Garcia

There's room for anyone to jump in and contribute, and of course the
toolchain for Android apps is totally free and there's no restrictions
on what languages you can use in your apps :) What a crazy concept!

There's the question of preferred language. Personally, I'd prefer to =
code for the Iphone using Ruby and hope Apple eventually lets MacRuby =
into their garden.

The other question is how successful of a market will Android become =
among non-techies given its unrestrained openness.

Jose
Jose Hales-Garcia
UCLA Department of Statistics
(e-mail address removed)

Charles Oliver Nutter

There's the question of preferred language. =C2=A0Personally, I'd prefer =
to code for the Iphone using Ruby and hope Apple eventually lets MacRuby in=
to their garden.
The other question is how successful of a market will Android become amon=
g non-techies given its unrestrained openness.

I fail to see how unrestrained openness would negatively impact the
success of the Android marketplace. More bad apps will slip through,
but you can rate those suckers into the ground if you choose.

Given the explosion of choice in Android devices and the openness of
its tooling, OS, and market, I think it's a pretty good bet to start
getting into Android development now.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter

I don't find the Rhomobile way very appealing. I want to be able to
call into all the Android APIs, write interactive 2D graphical apps,
and basically have the entire world of Java libraries available to me.
Rhomobile seems like a lowest-common-denominator platform, where
lowest can mean some pretty primitive Blackberry devices. Ruboto is
aimed at Android and Android alone, and (if I have anything to say
about it) will not limit what parts of the platform you can use.

FWIW, I think Rhomobile is a fine approach if you want to have a very
simple web-like application that installs locally and works on several
platforms. Of course, I can suggest another option for that: the web
itself :)

- Charlie

Joel VanderWerf

Charles said:
FWIW, I think Rhomobile is a fine approach if you want to have a very
simple web-like application that installs locally and works on several
platforms. Of course, I can suggest another option for that: the web
itself :)

Web is ok, unless you need to access gps or other hw.

David Masover

Has this situation improved with Apple's recent relaxing of
restrictions on the dev guidelines for iOS 4?

Possible, but why would you want to? Apple has already demonstrated that they
are willing to cripple your development efforts on a whim. If the situation is
better now, it's entirely because Apple deigns to allow it.

Why on earth would you target a platform like that?

Ed Howland

Possible, but why would you want to? Apple has already demonstrated that they
are willing to cripple your development efforts on a whim. If the situation is
better now, it's entirely because Apple deigns to allow it.

Why on earth would you target a platform like that?

I think I agree w/you that android is a better dev target, but I was
thinking of X-Platform development (Both Android and iPhone)

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com