animated org chart

JOS

Hi

I am looking for some advice on building an animated org chart for
the web. It will allow the user to click on boxes and allow them to
drill into an area. I would like to do this with nice animation
effects

I know it would be possible with flash but I would like you opinon on
doing it in DHTML/
Javascript.

Do you think it would be easily done?
Has anyone come across an example on the web?

Thanks
Jerry

Stevo

JOS said:
I am looking for some advice on building an animated org chart for
the web. It will allow the user to click on boxes and allow them to
drill into an area. I would like to do this with nice animation
effects
I know it would be possible with flash but I would like you opinon on
doing it in DHTML/ Javascript.
Do you think it would be easily done?
Has anyone come across an example on the web?

I would have thought it would be very difficult with just DHTML. You'll
be needing lines that join boxes that move as the boxes move. There's no
built in way of doing that with just DHTML. You might look into SVG.
That could definitely do it but I think Internet Explorer doesn't
support it natively (not even IE7). There's work going on with
Silverlight to support SVG but it's most definitely "in progress". It
all depends on your user base and whether you have any influence on
them. For example, if it's employees of your company then it's easy to
say "install this plugin", but if it's just the general public then
that's not so good. In that case you'd probably be better off using Flash.