[ANN] Forthcoming 2nd ed. of _The Ruby Way_

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by rubyhacker, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. rubyhacker

    rubyhacker Guest

    Hello, all.

    Thought I might as well announce this "officially" as many people
    know it already.

    The ink is dry on the contract, and I am working on a second edition
    of _The Ruby Way_. Expect to see it second quarter of 2006.

    To summarize: About 100 pages deleted, about 250 pages added.
    Updated from 1.6.8 to 1.8.4 (or thereabout).

    If you have comments or suggestions, feel free to make them.

    I can't cover everything, but I want to cover the important and
    interesting
    stuff (as time and space permit). If you see it in the "keyword soup"
    below, it's under consideration. If you think I've forgotten something
    important, please tell me in email.

    Thanks,
    Hal Fulton

    Keyword soup:
    Rockit racc rbison io/nonblock readpartial StringIO csv Oniguruma
    Madeleine Oracle DBI LDAP ORMs (AR, Og, etc.) define_method
    const_missing
    JTTUI Qt One-click installer EXERB imap pop3 SSL ssh tunnelling OpenURI
    NNTP WEBrick Redcloth Bluecloth etc. fastcgi Ruby on Rails Nitro
    amrita
    borges cgi-kit narf cerise SOAP REST WebDAV XML-RPC Okay (YAML)
    Rinda and Ring CORBA REXML irb Test::Unit xmp pp rcov generator
    enumerator
    OSX KirbyBase Cocoa YAML iCal etc. vCard RSS RDF RMagick Flash (Alph)
    PDF Rake mkmf extconf.rb SWIG Ruby/DL CVS Subversion gnuplot Mozilla
    Java .NET RDoc RubyGems setup.rb RAA RubyForge ri vim emacs Scite
    FreeRIDE RDE ArachnoRuby Komodo Eclipse Blog tools Wiki tools RCRs

    rubyhacker, Dec 14, 2005

  2. rubyhacker

    Jim Freeze Guest

    CommandLine and its children: Application, Option, OptionParser and OptionD=
    ata.

    Jim Freeze, Dec 14, 2005

  3. This is just fantastic news. The old version is quite out of date
    and yet still my second favorite Ruby book!
    I realize this is tooting my own horn, but it would be great if
    FasterCSV[1] made it in there if only as a footnote. I know it's not
    a standard library, but it reads and writes just fine and is almost 9
    times faster than the standard library. This might be important
    since I've seen multiple complaints about CSV speed here and on Ruby
    Core.

    I'm also hard at work adding cool new features to it that should be
    in long before the book is ready. Features not yet is CSV. :)

    End advertisement. We now return you to your regular programming.

    James Edward Gray II

    1: http://rubyforge.org/projects/fastercsv/

    James Edward Gray II, Dec 15, 2005
  4. rubyhacker

    Jeff Wood Guest

    ... Please be sure to provide it in PDF form... That's how I have my
    current edition and I really appreciate it.

    j.

    Jeff Wood, Dec 15, 2005
  5. At least a small section on Rake would be excellent.

    Tanner Burson, Dec 15, 2005
  6. rubyhacker

    Joe Van Dyk Guest

    I think it's under consideration, considering that Rake is in that
    'keyword soup'.

    Joe Van Dyk, Dec 15, 2005
  7. rubyhacker

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Yep, should have alphabetized it. But then it wouldn't be soup,
    would it? :)

    Hal

    "There's a message in my AlphaBits! It says, 'OOOOOO'!"
    "Those are CheeriOs."
    -- _Family Guy_

    Hal Fulton, Dec 15, 2005
  8. rubyhacker

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Sure it would. It would be alphabet soup ;)

    Any chance of it following the prag prog's beta book release method?

    Either way, looking forward to it.

    Bill Guindon, Dec 15, 2005
  9. First, one more congratulatory note: congrats! :)

    The few exciting and very soupy technologies I could
    think of off-hand are SCGI, RubyScript2Exe and the
    whole ParseTree/Ruby2C cadre.

    A footnote of such alternatives as Rant and Wee might
    be well-received, too!
    *Dashes off to purchase season 3*

    Eero Saynatkari, Dec 15, 2005
  10. Impressive list of topics! i will buy this book in a heart beat!

    Cheers-

    -Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    WebMaster
    Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper

    509-577-7732

    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Dec 15, 2005
  11. rubyhacker

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Thank you.

    Let me clarify, though, lest anyone misunderstand -- not all of these
    topics will be covered in depth. Depending on time and pages and so on,
    some may barely be mentioned.

    That's one reason I want assistance in prioritizing things. In addition,
    some of these I know little about, and will have to learn within the
    next ninety days or so, or just skip them.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Dec 15, 2005
  12. rubyhacker

    Phil Tomson Guest

    That's good news!
    My own 2cents:

    I especially like chapter 5 (OOP and Dynamicity in Ruby) in the current
    edition of TRW. I hope that perhaps a similar chapter on metaprogramming can
    be added.

    Also: I would like to see the second edition stick to advanced Ruby
    programming topics/philosophy and mostly stay away from specific libraries (so
    basically staying away from a lot of the things you list above ;-) Why do I
    say this: because the title 'The Ruby Way' implies that you're going to impart
    the philosophy of Ruby programming. Your introduction leads to this as well.
    But if you start loading up with too many specific libraries/etc. then it
    starts looking less and less like 'The Ruby Way' and more like a tour of
    Ruby libraries. A lot of items in the "keyword soup" are ephemeral -
    is Rockit really being maintained and used at this point, for example? (and
    what about Grammar?) I think you should focus on things that are not
    ephemeral in Ruby.

    Gems and Rake would be two 'externals' that should be included though, as they
    are either becoming central to or exemplify The Ruby Way (Rake could be
    covered as an example of metaprogramming, for example). Onigurma deserves
    coverage because it will be the new regex engine. I'd like to see more
    advanced coverage of things like using the various callbacks (included,
    inherited, etc.), metaprogramming, functional Ruby (stuff like what's in the
    "Higher order Perl" book).

    Leave specific GUI toolkits like Tk, or Qt to another book...

    I really like "The Ruby Way"; I would like to see it move more in the
    direction of "The Ruby Way: Advanced Ruby Programming Techniques" or something
    like that... as opposed to "The Ruby Way: A brief look at lots of
    libraries(many of which will be obsolete by this time next year)".

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Dec 15, 2005
  13. rubyhacker

    Kev Jackson Guest

    Although I haven't read the ruby way, I'd prefer to see a coverage of
    more advanced programming techniques in Ruby, instead of a brief
    overview of Library X,Y,Z, but then again how do you define advanced?
    My idea of advanced is Dwemthy's Array (which I actually just got my
    head around this week).

    my 2 vitenamese dong (roughly 2/15000 c)
    Kev

    Kev Jackson, Dec 15, 2005
  14. I know it's a long shot but the only thing I have found missing
    from "the Ruby way" so far has been something on graphics -
    ie. Ruby SDL etc. I'd love to see some pointers on that.

    Leslie

    Leslie Viljoen, Dec 15, 2005
  15. Great to hear :)

    I really loved the original book. If you need any help with Nitro/Og
    don't hesitate to contact me ;-)

    -g.

    George Moschovitis, Dec 15, 2005
  16. rubyhacker

    Luc Heinrich Guest

    Make that a Pickaxe-2-style-beta-book and I'm signing up right away :)

    --=20
    Luc Heinrich - - http://www.honk-honk.com

    Luc Heinrich, Dec 15, 2005
  17. +1. I'd also be much more interested in pure, advanced Ruby rather than
    specifics of this or that library.

    Jack

    Jack Christensen, Dec 15, 2005
  18. ------=_Part_3096_16479692.1134653413112

    I bought your first book. Loved it.

    I'm anxious to see the 100 pages you plan on deleting. Always good to know
    the things to unlearn too.

    Brian

    ------=_Part_3096_16479692.1134653413112--

    Brian Buckley, Dec 15, 2005
  19. rubyhacker

    Takashi Sano Guest

    Hi,

    My 2 yen for all the above.

    To add the list, I would like to see a chapter or section on interface
    - what is and how to create clean API in ruby.

    Takashi Sano

    Takashi Sano, Dec 15, 2005
  20. Can you use the community? Together we know a fair amount. ;)

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Dec 15, 2005