[ANN] rGenetic

Orion Hunter

Announcing the rGenetic project (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rgenetic/) at
RubyForge.

Desc:

rGenetic is a genetic algorithm package for Ruby. The idea is to develop a
package which is easily customizable, allowing simple integration into a
problem require genetic algorithms or evolutionary programming. The suite
will be developed and tested against traditional GA problems as a proof of
concept. I am aware of Ruby/GA in SourceForge, which, from my understanding
has similar goals. However, last I checked, it's documentation and support
are in japanese. Beyond that, I feel that having more than one package with
similar goals only strengthens the library support for Ruby. I will
specifically develop rGenetic without examination of Ruby/GA, in order to
develop a unique solution which will hopefully compliment the Ruby/GA
project.

Anyone who is interested, hop on over. The project just entered pre-Alpha.
I've got some documentation up if you want to take a gander.

cheers!

Matt

Phil Tomson

[...]

Interesting. I've got some GA and ES (Evolution Strategy) code that I
developed for a class I took a while back. Some of it might be usable.

One thing: I read your informal framework doc and the use of the word
'Agent' is a bit confusing. I guess, from the way you're describing it I
would tend to use the word 'Individual' or maybe 'genotype'. Agent seems
to be an overloaded term in this context (as in 'intelligent agents').

Phil

Hal E. Fulton