Announcing a re spawned rcairo

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Øyvind Kolås, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Announcing a re spawned rcairo
    =============================

    rcairo[1] is a cairo[2] extension for ruby.

    Cairo is a resolution and device independent vector graphics drawing
    library, which provides a postscript like drawing model. The release
    contains some simple tests, and some not so simple tests utilizing
    cairo through ruby (samples/canvas contains a small windowing system.

    Features
    ========

    - PNG writing
    - interactive applications using gtk+ and hardware acceleration.

    Download
    ========

    The extension is available as a tarball[3] or from cairo CVS[4] see
    the cairo cvs instructions[5] for information on how to get rcairo and
    some of its dependencies from cvs. See the README[6] for spartan build
    instructions, rcairo uses setup.rb and is hopefully easy to wrap up
    for gems and RPA.

    To be done
    ==========

    - Review API/conventions.
    - patterns (for gradients, and repeating images).
    - binding of cairo-svg for svg rendering support.
    - integration with sdl extension, for easy platform independent
    (albeit not hardware accelerated) use.
    - PDF writing.
    - integration with pango extension, for unicode based text layout capabilities.
    - integration with the native support in gtk+
    - integration with other toolkits?
    - documentation

    Feedback and patches are appreciated, especially regarding how cairo
    code should be used from ruby. Most of the fancy things can be added
    as syntactic sugar, but I am uncertain how to handle for instance
    enumerated values in a good way.

    ]====----

    [1] - http://cairographics.org/rcairo
    [2] - http://cairographics.org/ - "introduction - cairo"
    [3] - http://cairographics.org/~pippin/cairo/ruby/ - "download
    location for tarball"
    [4] - http://cvs.cairographics.org/rcairo/ - "cairo CVS - directory
    /cvs/cairo : rcairo"
    [5] - http://cairographics.org/download - "download - cairo"
    [6] - http://cvs.cairographics.org/rcairo/README?view=auto - "README for rcairo"

    Attachments: a png file, and the ruby script used to generate it, just
    to give a taste of the API, more samples exist in the release. Mail
    with attachments bounced from list, placing the sample at [3] for now.

    Happy drawing.

    /Øyvind K./pippin

    Øyvind Kolås, Feb 8, 2005

  2. Hello Øyvind,

    I'm shure it is a nice project, but my in-head spam deletion algorithm nearly send my finger to the delete button, because the header line seemed to contain so much noise. "a re spawned rcairo" seemed a bit like "a re you hav1ng your dose of v1agra" to me ;)

    I'm happy to have stopped myself in time, because I think I could need this later.

    best regards,

    Brian

    Brian Schröder, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Øyvind Kolås

    Aredridel Guest

    Packaged up in PLD's CVS tree. Delightfully easy to make an RPM of. Good
    clean work!

    Ari

    Aredridel, Feb 8, 2005