Any tricks to protect data in GridView from being copied?

Hooyoo

Hi, everyone here.
I need to protect my data in GridView from being copied, do you guys
have any good methods?

Thanks in advance.

ca8msm

The only guaranteed to work method is to not send it to the browser in
the first place! You can use various javascript tricks to make it
harder for them but ultimately they just have to look in the source to
get the data if you go down that route. Plus, these methods are more
likely to annoy your users.

Hooyoo

.....and whats to stop them simp,y printing the screen, or retyping the
information.

Once the data is delivered, be it via a datagrid or another source, you
should consider it vulnerable.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

Maybe I didn't clear my scenario. I have a lot of commercia data
records that will be show in grid view by pages, but I'm afraid
competitors will easily steal these data. So I expect a safe way to
publish these data on the web. Do you guys have any suggestion?

ca8msm

As we've both said above, anything that is published to your website
is available for anyone to look at and ultimately retrieve the data.
There is nothing you can do about this apart from not publish it.

Patrice

Still not clear IMO.

To who are you displaying those commercial data ? To the general public ?

If yes, what would you like to block your competitors to do ? If you don't
want them even to read those data then you should disclose those data only
to known users that would have a legitimate user rather than to the general
public.

Also keep in mind that a DRM scenario is intended to prevent printing,
moving and perhaps reading a document after a particular date. There is no
way to make something available and visible and to have users forgottting
about that once the application is closed (they can always write down or
analyse the figures they found interesting even if they can't physically
move, print the whole file).

Or do you meant this is an intranet site and you are afraid someone could
hack your site ?

Hooyoo

[...]

---
Patrice

"Hooyoo" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de (e-mail address removed)...

Yes, these data are availabe for the general public. As you guys
said, it's impossible to protect these data once they are published on
the web. However, I cannot at least let them steal these data easily
^_^. I should stop them steal these data programmable. There are
hundreds of pages, so if they spend several minutes to manually copy
one page data, it will be very time-consuming and boring task to
finish all pages.
This is also a safe way in a sense, right?

Thanks a lot for you guys warmly reply.

John Timney \(MVP\)

All you can really do is rely on the fact that it is indeed irritating to
manually copy a page, then click for next one and manually copy that - but
it could likely still be possible to automate that from client code so check
that something you do stops this. The really cruddy but likely more
effective way is to convert a few different letters to a hex code in each
page dynamically at write time so its fairly unreadable to the naked eye.
Not a task for the faint hearted and will make your pages increase in size,
but it does make each page of your datagrid pointless to copy from the
underlying html automatically as it needs something capable of displaying
hex codes to actually show the wording in the grid.

Heres a list of codes to experiment with.
http://www.kerryr.net/pioneers/html2.htm

Personally, I think its bit of a waste of time, but its your data.

[...]

Larry Bud

Yes, these data are availabe for the general public. As you guys
said, it's impossible to protect these data once they are published on
the web. However, I cannot at least let them steal these data easily
^_^. I should stop them steal these data programmable. There are
hundreds of pages, so if they spend several minutes to manually copy
one page data, it will be very time-consuming and boring task to
finish all pages.
This is also a safe way in a sense, right?

You can download free programs to capture key and mouse strokes and
play them back. I could easily automatically capture the screen adn
save into a JPG or GIF.

Or hell, I could just do a FILE | PRINT.

Hooyoo

You can download free programs to capture key and mouse strokes and
play them back. I could easily automatically capture the screen adn
save into a JPG or GIF.

Or hell, I could just do a FILE | PRINT.- Hide quoted text -

:) You're really a veteran web man.