Any wing2.0 users here?

Alvin A. Delagon

emacs has been my long time companion for php, perl, and python. My boss
recommended to me Wing2.0, I find it hard to adjust though. What can you
say about this IDE? He say's if I think it could improve my productivity
he's willing to buy it for me. Suggestions for better python IDE's are
welcome! Thanks in advance! ^_^

gene tani

Alvin said:
emacs has been my long time companion for php, perl, and python. My boss
recommended to me Wing2.0, I find it hard to adjust though. What can you
say about this IDE? He say's if I think it could improve my productivity
he's willing to buy it for me. Suggestions for better python IDE's are
welcome! Thanks in advance! ^_^

There's a few IDEs with a ~ $30 license and ~ $300 licenses: black
adder, TruStudio, which I don't know anything about. I like Komodo, it
works well on perl and python (the ruby debugger setup has speed
issues, but otherwise works well for ruby too), colorizes C, SQL and
HTML source pretty well, and the $30 license really isn't missing much
from the $300 license. And you shd look at jedit, eclipse, and
textmate, since they're out there.

Claudio Grondi

Alvin said:
emacs has been my long time companion for php, perl, and python. My boss
recommended to me Wing2.0, I find it hard to adjust though. What can you
say about this IDE? He say's if I think it could improve my productivity
he's willing to buy it for me. Suggestions for better python IDE's are
welcome! Thanks in advance! ^_^

There was a thread about Python IDEs lately with reviews of many of
available Python IDE options, so check it out for more details ("Wingide
is a beautiful application" December 17, 2005).

I personally currently encourage everyone to use SPE as you can adjust
it to your own needs and can let others profit from the work you have
done to improve it.

Wing is interesting only in its professional version beeing quite
expensive compared to what you gain with it, but if you can get it 'for
free' I would recommend to use it in parallel to your emacs for the
Python specific features like go to definition (with automated reloading
of file on changes made in the other editor) as long as you are in
process of using the available source code to adapt it to your specific
needs.

Claudio

Franz GEIGER

Alvin said:
emacs has been my long time companion for php, perl, and python. My boss
recommended to me Wing2.0, I find it hard to adjust though. What can you
say about this IDE? He say's if I think it could improve my productivity
he's willing to buy it for me. Suggestions for better python IDE's are
welcome! Thanks in advance! ^_^

I like WingIDE best on Windows. You can try Wing: They offer a 30 day eval
version.

HTH
Franz GEIGER

RunLevelZero

I think it's one of the best myself. I littel laggy on windows but you
get use to it. Just my .02

Jarek Zgoda

Alvin A. Delagon napisa³(a):
emacs has been my long time companion for php, perl, and python. My boss
recommended to me Wing2.0, I find it hard to adjust though. What can you
say about this IDE? He say's if I think it could improve my productivity
he's willing to buy it for me. Suggestions for better python IDE's are
welcome! Thanks in advance! ^_^

Never used any IDE for a long time with Python, as any of them lacked
"the thing I would be willing to spend $$$ for". I couldn't go for Java
without Eclipse's debugger, but I am happy to write Python code without
debugger. Strange, isn't?

Claudio Grondi

Jarek said:
Alvin A. Delagon napisa³(a):

Never used any IDE for a long time with Python, as any of them lacked
"the thing I would be willing to spend $$$ for". I couldn't go for Java
without Eclipse's debugger, but I am happy to write Python code without
debugger. Strange, isn't?
Not strange for me.

To be honest, the more experience I have, the less I can understand what
a debugger is for. Can't even remember when used one last time. This is
valid also for programming in C/C++ or Java, so in my eyes the
"Debugger? No, Thanks!" is not limited only to Python or other script
programming languages.

Any professional programmer here who were really missing something very
important when forced to program without a sofisticated debugger?
If yes, could it be, that they program hardware driver or operating
system kernels?

Claudio

Jarek Zgoda

Claudio Grondi napisa³(a):
To be honest, the more experience I have, the less I can understand what
a debugger is for. Can't even remember when used one last time. This is
valid also for programming in C/C++ or Java, so in my eyes the
"Debugger? No, Thanks!" is not limited only to Python or other script
programming languages.

Any professional programmer here who were really missing something very
important when forced to program without a sofisticated debugger?
If yes, could it be, that they program hardware driver or operating
system kernels?

Nonono, interactive debuggers are very nice and helpful in most of
cases, such as in Java or C programs. I just didn't found any use for
interactive debugger with Python, so IDE's offer of "interactive
debugger" is no-op for me.

Anyway, I like Komodo and PyDev, only because they have nice project
management features (also available at no cost in jEdit and Kate). I
think, most of commercially available IDE's have something like that.