  1. Ali

    Ali Guest

    Anyone use VPython?

    Ali, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Ali

    Arthur Guest

    Yes.

    Arthur, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Ali

    Ali Guest

    ok then how yu make things move?

    Ali, Aug 15, 2004
  4. Ali

    Arthur Guest

    Hmmm.

    Your questions are kind of general..

    There are lots of different ways to get things to move.

    In the Hanoi demo, clicking the mouse button over a top ring and
    keeping it pressed while moving the mouse.. will move the ring.

    Most things in VPython have an attribute called "pos", representing
    its 3d coorinates

    Experiment from the IDLE prompt.

    IDLE 1.0.3
    You will see a window with a blue sphere.

    Then:
    The sphere's position in the window moved.

    Cool.

    Moving things in Vpython is usually a matter of having a porgram that
    changes things "pos", in reaction to something - a mouse click, the
    passage of seconds, etc.

    Help?

    Art

    Arthur, Aug 16, 2004
  5. yup

    Michael Scarlett, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Ali

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Noting the question, the first two responses you got, and
    your subsequent question, I suggest you would benefit
    from reading this short essay before posting again:

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Aug 16, 2004
  7. Note to the original poster: before you think Peter is being arrogant or a
    smartass, please realize that's probably the single most useful answer you'll
    ever get to a question on the internet. And yes, I've actually read that
    document once or twice in the past, carefully.

    So don't react badly, take his advice, read that document, make sure you
    understand it, and try again. I'm sure you'll find the result worth every
    minute of effort spent. Otherwise you'll continue to get correct answers like
    you have so far to your questions. Correct, but perfectly useless (because the
    questions were worded _begging_ for useless answers).

    best,

    Fernando Perez, Aug 16, 2004
  8. Ali

    Arthur Guest

    Oops. I forgot. I really did.

    What IDLE prompt?

    The VPython Windows distribution has the gaul to overwrite the
    conifig-main.def file in the idlelib directory changing the default
    behavior of IDLE on start-up to be a text editor, rather than an
    interactive prompt.

    This despite the fact that:

    a) The person responsible for configuring the distribution knows that
    the developers of IDLE =- specifically one GvR - made a clear
    statement as to wanting the prompt as the default start-up.

    b) The new IDLE has specifcally added the ability for user defined
    configuration of options without touching anything in the idlelib
    directory.

    c) This kind of overwrite of lib files, it seems to me, is bad form in
    any case.

    The fact that I think that the decision is also ridiculous, on its
    merits, being totally besides the point.

    The OP, depending on his profile, may in actual fact have no idea what
    I am talking about by referring to the IDLE interactive prompt -
    having downloaded VPython.

    I had made an issue of this - again - recently on edu-sig. To a
    resounding thud of reaction. But this little exhange proves at least,
    to myself, that I am attacking something real. Not just looking to
    pick a fight.

    Art

    Arthur, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Ali