append_features vs include

Rob Sanheim

I've read somewhere that Module#append_features is the old name for
this method, and "included" should be used going forward. Makes sense
to me, as "included" is shorter and fits the method better, anyways.

So is "append_features" going to be removed at some point, maybe 2.0?
I don't see it as really buying us anything, as its not a "humane"
alias like length vs size are for Array.

Rob

Logan Capaldo

I've read somewhere that Module#append_features is the old name for
this method, and "included" should be used going forward. Makes sense
to me, as "included" is shorter and fits the method better, anyways.

So is "append_features" going to be removed at some point, maybe 2.0?
I don't see it as really buying us anything, as its not a "humane"
alias like length vs size are for Array.
It's not an alias at all. (Hence why using append_features is that much
more work than included) It's the method that does the actual appeneding
of the features of the modules into the class or module that it gets
included into. It is in other words, an implementation detail. included
on the other hand is a callback that gets called after all this nitty
gritty detail stuff is finished, for the express purpose of allowing
custom code to be hooked into the inclusion process.

Rob Sanheim

It's not an alias at all. (Hence why using append_features is that much
more work than included) It's the method that does the actual appeneding
of the features of the modules into the class or module that it gets
included into. It is in other words, an implementation detail. included
on the other hand is a callback that gets called after all this nitty
gritty detail stuff is finished, for the express purpose of allowing
custom code to be hooked into the inclusion process.

Okay, where I said "included" in the above post I meant "include".
Sorry about that.

And now that I look at the rdoc, it looks like the only difference is
that include allows multiple arguments, whereas append_features takes
one arg only.

So I guess the question I really want to ask is this: why not just
have include fold append_features in to it?

- Rob

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: append_features vs include"

|So I guess the question I really want to ask is this: why not just
|have include fold append_features in to it?

I wanted hooks in both ways, i.e. redefining "include" makes a hook
from the destination, and redefining "append_feature" makes a hook
from the source. "included" is more handy for the purpose, but I am
not sure I am going to remove "append_feature", since it has more
control flexibility of hook timing.

matz.