    I don't see it as really buying us anything, as its not a "humane"
    alias like length vs size are for Array.

    Rob

    Rob Sanheim, Oct 6, 2006

  2. It's not an alias at all. (Hence why using append_features is that much
    more work than included) It's the method that does the actual appeneding
    of the features of the modules into the class or module that it gets
    included into. It is in other words, an implementation detail. included
    on the other hand is a callback that gets called after all this nitty
    gritty detail stuff is finished, for the express purpose of allowing
    custom code to be hooked into the inclusion process.

    Logan Capaldo, Oct 6, 2006

  3. Rob Sanheim

    Rob Sanheim Guest

    Okay, where I said "included" in the above post I meant "include".
    Sorry about that.

    And now that I look at the rdoc, it looks like the only difference is
    that include allows multiple arguments, whereas append_features takes
    one arg only.

    So I guess the question I really want to ask is this: why not just
    have include fold append_features in to it?

    - Rob

    Rob Sanheim, Oct 6, 2006
  4. Hi,

    In message "Re: append_features vs include"

    |So I guess the question I really want to ask is this: why not just
    |have include fold append_features in to it?

    I wanted hooks in both ways, i.e. redefining "include" makes a hook
    from the destination, and redefining "append_feature" makes a hook
    from the source. "included" is more handy for the purpose, but I am
    not sure I am going to remove "append_feature", since it has more
    control flexibility of hook timing.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 6, 2006