application stops working

Nikhil Patel

Hi all,
I installed an asp.net application on a client's machine on Friday. It
uses a Sql Server database as backend. Database server and Web server are on
different machines but same domain. The IIS virtual directory runs under a
domain account. So I gave database access to this domain account in Sql
Server. And the application was working fine. But when the client tried if
on Sunday, it did not work. It gave the error that either sql server was
missing/not running or denied access. So I myself tried it this morning and
it was not working. But strangely it is working now. So do you think, the
client is doing something that allows or stops application from running or I
am doing something wrong? Also is there anything I should do to prevent the
error from happening again.

Thanks.

Scott Allen

Well, if the database server was offline that could cause the problem.
You could check the System event log or SQL Server logs and perhaps
turn up a clue as to what happened.

Guest

Hi,

I had a problem similar to this and it turned out to be one of our
developers messing with SQL settings. The server would be working fine one
minute then we experienced timeouts all over the place. Access SQL via SQL
Query analyser and the problem disappeared.

The setting that had been set was in the database options the 'Auto Close'
had been checked. This in effect shuts down SQL server when there has been a
period of inactivity and we received the timeout as the server was starting
back up - although looking in enterprise manager, the server was running.

HTH Pete.