Are sub-versions now binary-compatible?

Eric Promislow

I found I had to build separate versions of a binary library to run on
1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Do versions 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 also have binary incompatibilities? Is
there a test suite
around i could use?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric Hodel

I found I had to build separate versions of a binary library to run on
1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Which library?
Do versions 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 also have binary incompatibilities? Is
there a test suite around i could use?

Depends on the library. Some can be used cross version, others can't.

ParseTree refuses to work on a library other than the one it was
built on. I've had no luck running ImageMagick on multiple ruby
versions either.

Rick DeNatale

I found I had to build separate versions of a binary library to run on
1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Do versions 1.8.4 and 1.8.5 also have binary incompatibilities? Is
there a test suite
around i could use?

Thanks,
Eric

Well, you might do a diff on any included files.

diff ruby1.8.4/ruby.h ruby1.8.5/ruby.h shows that there ARE
differences, which would indicate to me that it's probably not wise to
count on binary compatibility.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

ara.t.howard

Well, you might do a diff on any included files.

diff ruby1.8.4/ruby.h ruby1.8.5/ruby.h shows that there ARE
differences, which would indicate to me that it's probably not wise to
count on binary compatibility.

i always recompile all extensions when an upgrade comes out. i've had issues
in the past when i didn't.

-a