Are there any guidelines for source control?

Mike Kruchten

Is there a whitepaper with recommendations for source control setup for a
web site? What I've found so far for the VS.Net documentation recommends
putting as much as possible into a single solution. This would imply putting
the entire web site under one solution, but this sounds rather unwieldly.

Would it make more sense to put each web app into a separate solution? Is
this just trial and error to see what works best?

Mike

Mike Kruchten

So the entire web site would be in one solution? Is it possible to deploy a
single project (web app) within a solution, or does the whole solution have
to be deployed at once?

Mike Kruchten

Mike Kruchten

Yeah, I've seen that document, it's one of the ones I've found confusing. I
didn't think it was very clear, for example if you have several unrelated
web apps. Why would you want to put them in a single solution? Wouldn't you
want to version each separately, or can you still do that with a single
solution?

And what is the structure within the SCC system in relation to
solutions/projects? We don't use SourceSafe here, we use Starteam. I'd like
to get this right the first time, not after much trial and error.

Mike Kruchten

John Saunders

Mike Kruchten said:
Yeah, I've seen that document, it's one of the ones I've found confusing. I
didn't think it was very clear, for example if you have several unrelated
web apps. Why would you want to put them in a single solution? Wouldn't you
want to version each separately, or can you still do that with a single
solution?

If they're unrelated, then don't put them in the same solution. I didn't get
that from the document. We modeled our development environment largely from
that document, and always had unrelated web sites in separate solutions. For
example, I develop a "beta" site. The site's web project, and the database
project for the database it uses, and a web setup project to install it are
all in a single solution.
And what is the structure within the SCC system in relation to
solutions/projects? We don't use SourceSafe here, we use Starteam. I'd like
to get this right the first time, not after much trial and error.

I also stopped using Source(un)Safe, and now use SourceGear Vault. But the
project structure is the same. In the above case, the solution is as
$/Projects/Web Sites/BetaSoln, with the three projects below that.