ASP Equivilant to .htaccess ?

Bill

Does ASP have a file whose function is similar to .htaccess on Apache? I'm
looking to protect subdirectory content.

Ray at

No, it doesn't, at least not as far up to IIS 5. I don't know about IIS 6,
but I don't think that does either. Unfortunately, the ways of acheiving
the same results of .htaccess are much more server intensive than the way
..htaccess works. There are components you can use to mimic .htaccess
functionality, or you can stream your files back after verifying things
you'd like to verify, such as http_referer.

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2276

Ray at work

Tim Burblehoff

I recently ran up against this issue and came up with a pretty good
solution.

Here is what I did-

Created an account with the same username and password as the logged in
users userID (stored in a session)
The host I go through has ASPuser installed, so I used this to impersonate a
login based on the users userID (stored in a session) and then streamed the
file to them if it authenticated. This way it is impossible to link directly
to a file unless your userID matches the current session.

Does this sound fairly fool proof??