ASP.Net and client side control (SelectedIndexChanged)

Geordie

I was wondering what capabilities ASP.Net has at the client level.

I have been using a RadioButtonList.

My control and additional textboxes look like this:

o See item number [ ]
o See items from Date [ ] to date [ ]

I have the method defined for SelectedIndexChanged event. Basically,
I am trying to clear and disable the text selections for the
unselected item.

Example:

private void RadioButtonList1_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
System.EventArgs e)
{

if (RadioButtonList1.SelectedValue.ToString() == "ItemNumber")
{

txtFromDate.Text = "";
txtToDate.Text = "";
txtFromDate.Enabled = false;
txtToDate.Enabled = false;
txtItemNumber.Enabled = true;

The problem is that my SelectedIndexChanged event does not fire until
the post. I can set the AutoPost=True, but this is still doing a
post. That seems like a lot of traffic (back to the server and
running code again, etc) just to disable some client level fields. I
should be able to do this all on the client because the server does
not need to know this information.

Well, I could fall back by writing some JScript to do this for me, but
I thought there would be a native way for ASP.Net to handle this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Vaibhav

If you dont want to post back then, client side JScript is the only option
you have.

Kevin Spencer

Another option is to use HTML Radio Buttons.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP