ASP.NET application alone can't do it!!! Right???

Danny Bloodworth

First, here's the problem: I need to simulate desktop publishing on
the web. I have a custom, stand-alone app that works fine. I need to
port it to the web and keep as much functionality as possible. In the
desktop version, a user can move, size, edit objects that are in a
default layout initially.
For example, say you have a container with two richtextboxes and two
images, the user dbl-clicks to assign the image-path, and has a
richedit toolbar to change the text after entering it. If the user
wants to move or size the object, they simply click the object (sizing
handles appear) and they drag to position/size the image.

What I know:
1) I do not want the app to round-trip to the server for every tiny
change.
2) I will need some other "component" along with the tools of ASP.NET
to accomplish this, right?
3) ActiveX, Flash, Java applet are [my] known possible solutions for
4) Since the desktop app already uses an ActiveX control, I am
probably most well-equipped to create this type of solution

What I've tried:
1) I've researched the above to some degree, attempting to understand
the pros/cons of each
2) ActiveX component - ran into security issues, I fear that some will
not download with or without a certificate which is expensive anyway,
....don't understand how to get a certificate and use it and could
really use some help
3) Java applet - Research found that it will yield better
cross-browser support, but is a bit slower, and creates a bit larger
file sizes, plus XP no longer supports JavaVM.(?) (Would love for
someone to corroborate or square me up on this)
4) Flash would work, but without Remoting, it's difficult to get info
from/to the server. Don't know much about Flash Remoting, and don't
know action-scripting. Makes this avenue tough for me.

I wrote the above two sections so that you know that I am being
proactive in solving my own problem, not just throwing it to the gurus
and hoping for the best. Please give me your suggestions on not only
what I've done, but what I am trying to do. DON'T just tell me that I
should post in other forums, because the guy after you will thrash you
for suggesting that I cross-post and this thread will dwindle into
oblivion without any further helpful suggestions.

Simply put, How would you attack this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,
DB

Lucas Tam

(e-mail address removed) (Danny Bloodworth) wrote in
I need to simulate desktop publishing on
the web. ^^^^^^^^^

Somethings are better left to a desktop.

WJ

Danny Bloodworth said:
1) I do not want the app to round-trip to the server for every tiny
change.

Use Client/Server application. Not .Net Winform for you cannot force your
customers to install .Net FW if they choose not to. Package it using Wise or
InstallShield and allow them to down load and install.
2) I will need some other "component" along with the tools of ASP.NET
to accomplish this, right?

Very clumsy programming methodology. Not very clean. Avoid this.
4) Since the desktop app already uses an ActiveX control, I am
probably most well-equipped to create this type of solution
You need to code-sign the activeX using, say VeriSign Cert. ($400.00/Year to
sign unlimitted apps.)
2) ActiveX component - ran into security issues, I fear that some will
not download with or without a certificate which is expensive anyway,
...don't understand how to get a certificate and use it and could
really use some help

If you generate $$$, then VeriSign is very cheap to buy, 1 cert costs $400
good for 1 year and you can use on any app. you create. Today Windows server
can issue all kinds of certificates. You, in fact, can be your own CA and
issue your own certificates and "convince" your clients to trust you.

In summary, in three years, I would say it is safe to deploy .Net Winform
via internet as other poster suggested. Today, many of my users are still on
Win9x and NT 4.0. It is tough to get rid of that "old habit dies hard". The
best solution is deploy legacy Win32B apps.. It's been working fine for
ages!

--- Web programming is awkward, convoluted and insecure. Its a WHORE ---

John