ASP.NET Emailing

John Smith

Server: Windows 2000
..Net Framework: v1.1.4322.573

I have created a class in asp.net that sends out an email message. It used
to work on the live server but now it doesn't? I never made any changes to
the application. So, I tried using the application from my machine
(development server) and it works fine. I setup both to use the exact same
SMTPServer as "mail.whatever.com" and still the developer server works but
the live server does not. I tried with the ip address and still no success
on the live server. Any ideas? Maybe a service that I should check to see
if it is running? The SMTP service is running. Thank you in advance for
your help.

Server Error in '/' Application.
----

The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code
was 0x800ccc15. The server response was not available

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The message
could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was
0x800ccc15. The server response was not available

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x80040211): The message could not be sent to the SMTP
server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc15. The server response was not
available
]

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture,
String[] namedParameters) +0
System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr,
Binder binder, Object target, Object[] args, ParameterModifier[] modifiers,
CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParameters) +473
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +58

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not access 'CDO.Message' object.]
System.Web.Mail.LateBoundAccessHelper.CallMethod(Object obj, String
methodName, Object[] args) +113
System.Web.Mail.CdoSysHelper.Send(MailMessage message) +1836
System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(MailMessage message) +153
forms.forms.smtpSendMail.sendMail(String emailFrom, String emailTo,
String emailCC, String emailBCC, String emailSubject, String emailBody,
String emailPriority)
forms.meeting_report_edit.Button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePo
stBackEvent(String eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

John Smith

It turned out that a newer version of McAfee Anti-Virus had been installed
on the Server, and it blocked port 25 by default. Once we disabled the port
blocking, it all started working again.

----