ASP.NET Quick start Tutorials

Luke Vogel

Hi all,

I've just started with asp.net, and thought I'd work my may through the
quick start tutorials before asking any silly questions.

I didn't get very far. On the 'Introducing Web Forms' page there are a
number of examples, and I cant get the 'vb intro8.aspx' example (and
others) to run.

The browser displays the error screen describing:
Invalid object name 'Titles'
and
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'Titles'.
and then a stack trace (none of which makes sense to me).

I do have the SQLServer running but I don't have a clue how to remedy
the problem so that I can see the examples working.

BTW, I have downloaded the "I Buy Spy" e-commerce example and it works
fine so I assume the IIS/SQL/ASP.NET interactions are working as they
should.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to make it work?

TIA

Guest

Dear Luke,
Go To SQL Server Enterprise Manager and browse the database. Check whether the table "Titles" exist or not. If exist, there is some problem with the code. If it doesn't exist, create a table called "Titles" and populate it with some data.
Since you are getting an error called "Invalid object name 'Titles'". I hope that the table is not there in the Database.
Check it and get back to me.
Regards,
John
--
MTS-Software Engineer,
Sharp Software Development India, Pvt. Ltd.,

Luke Vogel

Thanks for your reply John,

You're going to have to be patient with me, remember I'm new to all this
:)

Where do I find the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager"?

Surely this should work out of the box as these are just the tutorial
files that come with Visual Studio. Should I perhaps re-install/repair
the installation?

--
Regards
Luke

John Paul. A (MCP ID# 3015176) said:
Dear Luke,
Go To SQL Server Enterprise Manager and browse the database. Check
whether the table "Titles" exist or not. If exist, there is some problem
with the code. If it doesn't exist, create a table called "Titles" and
populate it with some data.
Since you are getting an error called "Invalid object name 'Titles'".
I hope that the table is not there in the Database.

Zenobia

Thanks for your reply John,

You're going to have to be patient with me, remember I'm new to all this
:)

Where do I find the "SQL Server Enterprise Manager"?

Surely this should work out of the box as these are just the tutorial
files that come with Visual Studio. Should I perhaps re-install/repair
the installation?

I was wondering, for a minute, whether you were taking the piss.

SQL Server is a separate program from Visual Studio.

There's a panel in Visual Studio on the LHS that shows available
databases. If you see MSDE or SQL Server there then you're
nearly OK.

If you don't then you need to install a cut down version of SQL
Server called MSDE, which comes for free and will substitute.
You can download MSDE from Microsoft's web site:
<http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/downloads/download.asp.
The problem with MSDE is that it comes with no tools (such as
the afore-mentioned "SQL Server Enterprise Manager" and "Query
Analyser". You will need to find a tool that allows you to
manage database objects for MSDE. The proper forum to ask about
such items is:
To manage MSDE you could try installing "SQl Server Web Data
Administrator, after you've installed MSDE:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...98-C57A-419E-ACBC-2A332CB7F959&displaylang=en>

You may need to configure MSDE to get this working. I had to
configure network protocols separately for my copy of MSDE,
after installation.

I think using Visual Studio to write ASP.NET is sometimes a bit
tedious. You actually only need a text editor. Check out this
tutorial book: ASP.NET Unleashed - by Stephen Walther - very
easy to learn with and it completely by-passes Visual Studio -
available for only $25 2nd hand with a whopping 1441 pages.