ASP.Net vs VB.Net

Andy Fish

asp.net is the replacement for asp i.e. programming web applications using
IIS

unlike asp (where you use vbscript), you get a choice of languages. the most
common are c# and vb.net

you can also use vb.net and c# for windows apps

that's the gist of it, though if you were pedantic you could pick holes in
this description.

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~

VB.NET is a .NET language, basically the .NET platform version of the good
ole' Visual Basic. I personally find VB too messy and convoluted to
comfortably read it, I prefer the visual expression efficiency of C#. There
was a time however that I was a Basic programmer and then I loved the
language :) until I found C....

And then ASP.NET is simply a way of building web applications using HTML and
CSS and all those things just like any other web-page building environment.
With ASP.NET however you can have the "dynamicity" by generating dynamic
content using your choice of .NET languages. So, in short you can use
ASP.NET and code the back-end of your web application in C#, VB.NET, J#, C++
or a combination thereof. That is the idea, I don't know if I expressed it
well.

Kevin Spencer

ASP.Net is a platform and technology. VB.Net is a programming language.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

ASP.NET is an object model used for developing web pages.
To use this object model, you must select a .NET programming language to
control it with, such as VB.NET or C#.

Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi
Sorry for re-opening such an old thread I found it when searching on google

To clarify, is asp.net a generic term for everything in .net and vb.net a term for asp.net written with vbscript?

I get confused between the terms because I have been asked if I had been doing vb.net or asp.net using vbscript which I thought was the same thing but apparantly not.

I have been writing asp.net websites using vbscript does this mean I have experience in asp.net and vb.net

thanks