ASP.net & Win32 API (LogonUser) question...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rich, Nov 2, 2004.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    I am running IIS6 on a Win2k3 server.

    I have an ASP.Net app (C#) that a user logs into and then I use
    LogonUser to validate them and log them onto the server. I have
    Windows Authentication ONLY checked on the site in IIS.

    My problem is that eventhough I am using LogonUser to log on to the
    server as the user, I am still getting the Windows Authentication
    Challenge (login window).

    There are groups/users setup on the server for this app, so I don't
    want to turn windows auth off because I am afraid my LogonUser usage
    is only seeing if they have access to the server not to that
    particular file.

    Am I missing something? I was hoping LogonUser would act as if the
    user had entered their own info into the windows challenge login
    window.

    I plan use forms auth to keep track of session later on, so right now
    I have my web.config setup as:
    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name="frmLogin" loginUrl="login.aspx"></forms>
    </authentication>
    <identity impersonate="True"/>

    Here is most of my C# code:
    [DllImport("advapi32.dll", CharSet=CharSet.Auto)]
    public static extern int LogonUser(String lpszUserName,
    String lpszDomain,
    String lpszPassword,
    int dwLogonType,
    int dwLogonProvider,
    ref IntPtr phToken);

    [DllImport("ADVAPI32.DLL")]
    public static extern int RevertToSelf();

    [DllImport("ADVAPI32.DLL")]
    public static extern int ImpersonateLoggedOnUser(IntPtr phToken);
    IntPtr tok = IntPtr.Zero;

    private void btnLogin_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
    if(impersonateValidUser (txtUser.Text
    , "cgi.securenet01.com",
    txtPassword.Text))
    { Response.Redirect("reportLogin.aspx");
    undoImpersonation();
    }
    else { lblError.Text="Login Failed"; }
    }
    public void undoImpersonation()
    { RevertToSelf(); }
    public Boolean impersonateValidUser(String name
    , String domain, String
    passwd)
    {
    const int LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE = 2;
    const int LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT = 0;
    int result = LogonUser(name, domain, passwd,
    LOGON32_LOGON_INTERACTIVE,
    LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT,
    ref tok);
    if(result!= 0)
    { int result1 = ImpersonateLoggedOnUser(tok);
    if(result1 != 0) { return true; }
    else { return false; }
    }
    else { return false; }
    }

    Any help is appreciated....

    Rich, Nov 2, 2004

  2. Rich

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Rich:

    I'm a little confused. You want to use Windows authentication but you
    have the web.config setup for Forms authentication? Forms auth will
    always force the browser to prompt the user to login. This setting in
    web.config will trump the IIS setting.

    I think you want to change the web.config to Windows authentication
    only and deny anonymous access. Once you do this there is no need to
    use LogonUser, you can have the impersonate="True" in the web config
    and the request will access local resources using the client's
    identity. If the client is not in a group allowed to see a particular
    file the server will deny authorization.

    Tracking the user's session is a different issue and independent of
    how the app authenticates and authorizes the user. You can still have
    session state without forms authentication.

    Making sense?

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/