asp.net won't start up, again...

Pete Davis

Okay, I know this has been posted a gazillion times, but I'm stumped.

I'm getting this good old error from asp.net in the event log.

- aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that the
..NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the installation
directory allow access to the configured account.

Now, here's my setup: I have .NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 installed. The MS
"fix" for this error will not run on my machine BECAUSE I have 1.0 installed
as well. I need 1.0 installed because I have an app that only runs under
1.0.

I was running VS.NET 2002 but am now running 2003. The problem had gone away
until this morning.

I have verified all the directory permissions as per:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320

I am running on a standalone machine with no domain controller.

What's really got me bugged is that this problem doesn't happen all the
time. For example, everything was working fine this morning. I ran my app,
and after some debugging, the asp.net environment seemed hosed, so I
rebooted. Suddenly asp.net isn't working and I'm getting this error again...
WTF???

I thought I had seen the last of this error when I upgraded to VS.NET 2003.
Apparently not.

I have no interest in reinstalling Windows on my machine. Why can MS write
software that works? Why do they have to release patches that break things?
Someone, please, help...

Pete

Pete Davis

Okay, a bit more information. If I change the identity to "SYSTEM" in the
processmodel section of the machine.config, it works. The problem is, I then
can't attach the debugger to the aspnet_wp process, which is a big problem
for me.

Can someone explain why "SYSTEM" works, but if I use "machine" and then put
the ASPNET account into the administrator group, it doesn't work? Doesn't
this accomplish the same thing?

This is such a pain. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Pete