ASP on IIS V.5.1

Ashley

Hello,

I have a IIS V.5.1 Web Server running complete with http:// and FTP access
with FTP user accounts and so on to microsoft standard.

My fellow collegue is now coding in ASP, creating logins and advanced
features. I have been told that I may be able to "enable" ASP on IIS v.5.1
and be able to host live ASP files etc.
I found an area in the IIS configuration which allowed me to edit the files
that are opened for the public when they visit my domain, default.asp etc
was in that list I do believe, however when that directory was opened via
external connection I dont think it was opening.

So any information on "enabling" asp on IIS as I have been told would be
greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time and help,

Ashley.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Ashley,
ASP is part of IIS 5.1 and should be enabled automatically. The only
version of IIS that has the ability to enable/disable ASP out of the box is
IIS 6 on Win 2003 servers. IIS 5 requires a seperate utility to do this
which usually isn't installed.

Make sure he is talking about ASP and not ASP.Net. The two are
completely different issues. ASP.Net requires the download of the .Net
Framework in order to enable it's use on IIS 5.x.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Ashley

Thanks ever so much for your help and quick response.
No, he is not talking about the .Net Framework, Just plain old ASP.
So should this already be active and ready to host ASP on the system I
already have then?
What other steps need to be taken, as it wont let me access the ASP files
normally as I would on my other hosting that is provided for me. Thank again
for your time.

Ashley.

Scott M.

ASP (which we now call "Classic ASP" to avoid confusion with ASP.NET) is
automatically enabled in IIS. You shouldn't need to do anything at all
(other than place the Classic ASP application in a web shared virtual
directory).