ASPNET access to MSDE

DA

I was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on this MSDE .NET
interaction problem

I am running MSDE 2K latest service pack running Mixed mode, .NET Framework
1.1 on XP Pro (also latest SP and updates)

I have written a simple ASP app in C# which attempts to access MSDE via a
WebService also written in C#. When I try and do an open the following
exception is thrown:

Cannot open database requested in login 'Act'. Login fails.Login failed for
user 'YORK\ASPNET'

I have gone into MSDE with osql and done the following

EXEC sp_grantlogin 'YORK\ASPNET'
EXEC sp_grantdbaccess 'YORK\ASPNET', 'Act'
EXEC sp_defaultdb 'YORK\ASPNET', 'Act'

And at a last resort I granted it the following permissions:

EXEC sp_addrolemember db_owner, 'YORK\ASPNET'
and made ASPNET part of the administrators group in XP

But I still get the above error.

Any ideas?

Scot Rose [MSFT]

Is the database on the same machine as IIS? SQL or Integrated security?

321698 PRB: Cannot Connect to MSDE 2000 by Using ADO.NET with SQL Authentication
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321698

176377 INFO: Accessing SQL Server with Integrated Security from ASP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176377

Scot Rose, MCSD
Microsoft Visual Basic Developer Support
Email : (e-mail address removed) <Remove word online. from address>

This posting is provided “AS IS”, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Get Secure!
http://www.microsoft.com/security
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

DA

Scot,

Thanks for your reply, not sure where my last reply got to I thought I
posted one, but incase it got lost somewhere along the way, here is my
response again.

SQL and IIS are on the same machine, and SQL is configured for mixed
authentication but I am wanting to use integrated security.

Richard