aspnet_wp.exe (100%) cpu leak

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Luk, May 5, 2004.

  1. Luk

    Luk Guest

    Hi,
    we have got a problem with asp.net and we don't know what to do

    Usually aspnet_wp.exe under medium/high load uses a maximum of 40% cpu
    power.
    Suddently even when requests are not so high it starts using 100% cpu.
    Pages are so served in many seconds each (instead of few cents),
    process threads and memory grows for all user new requests due to the
    low speed or complete non working site. However we have not memory
    problems (there is always enough free mem).
    We can't understand what is using cpu and how to solve this problem.

    It remains in this state for many minutes (sometimes hours...) if we
    don't kill aspnet_wp.exe before. Even after process restarts aspnet
    compile aspx files and in this moment the cpu is normally high for few
    seconds.Then the cpu is on normal values also with many requests.
    This problem returns sometimes after hours, often after few minutes.

    In machine.config:

    <processModel
    enable="true"
    timeout="Infinite"
    idleTimeout="Infinite"
    shutdownTimeout="0:00:05"
    requestLimit="Infinite"
    requestQueueLimit="600"
    restartQueueLimit="10"
    memoryLimit="60"
    webGarden="false"
    cpuMask="0xffffffff"
    userName="machine"
    password="AutoGenerate"
    logLevel="Errors"
    clientConnectedCheck="0:00:05"
    comAuthenticationLevel="Connect"
    comImpersonationLevel="Impersonate"
    responseDeadlockInterval="00:03:00"
    maxWorkerThreads="20"
    maxIoThreads="20"
    />

    But we tried many configuration here with no useful results:
    maxWorkerThreads and maxIoThreads from 13 to 100, and
    requestQueueLimit from 300 to 5000. aspnet_wp.exe goes to 100% when it
    wants and goes down only after several minutes (this could be more

    We monitored some info in performance counters but didn't find
    anything useful.

    We don't use monitors, software lock, or critical section in the code.
    We store a lot of data at application level (using global.asax), and
    some in session state (with cookie, inProc).
    All exception we can handle are saved, and there is nothing strange.

    Help us please... Thanks

    Server is:
    - dual Xeon 2.8 GHz (with HT active), 2GB RAM,
    - Win2k server SP3 (and other patchs...) + IIS 5
    - .NET Framework v1.1.4322
    - isapi filter used : flatcompression (www.flatcompression.org) and
    urlscan
    - MySQL driver used: MyOdbc-3.51.06 and MySQLDriverCS-3.0.13

    Luk, May 5, 2004

  2. have you changed or updated the running code recently? to fix a bug or
    something? I'm thinking this is buggy code introduced into the system

    what do your application event logs say?

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], May 5, 2004

  3. Luk

    F. L. Guest

    Thank you for your reply

    I have always had this problem. But once it happened 1 time a week. Now
    it's much more frequent, and in the last weeks even several times a
    day...

    There's nothing on the application event log, process don't recycle on
    his own (i have to kill it, or wait a lot...)

    Code changes frequently for new services or improvements. I tried to
    isolate and modify some features that could have been heavy to manage
    (that used monitor to access to a global resource, now with an external
    mysql heap table).
    I still store a lot of data in global objects (some hashtables taking
    about 700 mb on high load), but i dont think this is a problem.

    What could i monitor in performance counter to understand what is using
    cpu?
    I noticed that both GC counters and exceptions/s reports same values in
    both cpu situations.
    I dont know if it's a code loop or a performance issue connected to a
    bug, or something else...

    thanks

    F. L., May 6, 2004
  4. Alvin Bruney [MVP], May 6, 2004