aspnet_wp.exe could not be started

Alek Davis

After installing Framework 1.1, I cannot run any of my ASP.NET applications.
Actually, while installing Framework 1.1, I also installed recommended
updates (all critical security fixes) from the Windows updates site, so I am
not sure whether this was caused by Framework 1.1 or by one of the hot
fixes. Now I am getting the following error in the event log: "aspnet_wp.exe
could not be started. HRESULT for the failure: 80070545." I checked a few
posts related to the same error, but none of recommendations helped. In
particular, I tried to run aspnet_regiis -i and re-registering
aspnet_isapi.dll. I rebooted computer several times. Uninstalled Framework
1.1. Still get the same error. My system is not a DC (it is an XP Pro
workstation), so I did not follow KB recommendations pertaining to a DC.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Alek

Alek Davis

OK, if anyone experiences a similar issue: I changed the userName attribute
of the processModel tag in the machine.config file (under
%WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705\CONFIG) from "machine" to
"system" and it seemed to fix the problem.

Alek

Kurt

Alek,
do you know if this compromises the security of the machine or
anything else and if so could you explain,

thanks

Kurt