aspnet_wp not killed in oracle connection session

Steve

We are using ODP.net (version 9.2.0.4.01) as data provider for Oracle
in our dotnet app. Currently we are using Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1
(VS.net IDE 2003) in our project.

One thing I feel strange is that every time the ASPX application ended
(closed and disposed the connection object), the Oracle session
connection never killed.

These eventually bring us to oracle connections used up situation :(

Based on my experiment, The problem will not occur while running
Window app or ASPX app using IIS 6 (w3wp.exe) in Window 2003.

They do happen in WinXP pro and Win2k Pro for IIS 5.X (haven't tried
in win2k server).

I have checked the Oracle Enterprise Management Console which showing
that the aspnet_wp processes are running even closing up any ASPX app
and VS.net IDE 2003.

By referring to the Google forum, in order to kill this "Never ended"
oracle connections, what I need to do is to restart the WWW service in
Window Component Services.

But I do not think this is a practical solution in order to solve the
problem in real time.

Can any expert provide me a suggestion regarding the problem?
Hopefully my description is clear enough to well shape the problem.

Have a nice day. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Steve FOO

Natty Gur

Hi,

I just have the same experience in one of my client sites. First of all
check that you close all your connection. they also use to open
connection from assemblies registered in COM+ but didn't check out they
use DisposeObject. I also recommend using the connection pool object
DecreasePoolSize. The default is 1.

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Steve

Hi Mr Natty Gur,

First at all , thanks for ur fast reply.

Regarding ur suggestion, instead of doing something on the Connection
Pool,
Do u have any better idea ?

As mentioned in the previous post, this problem only occur in ASP.net
app(not in window app) running on IIS 5.x(winXP,win2k) but not in IIS
6(win2k3).

Since we r using the same data access base classes for Window and Web
apps, there is not possible for the error happen alone in web App. We
did close and dispose the connection object as shown in oracle ODP.net
samples.

I suspect this are some configuration errors in asp.net state
management.

how do u think ?

Anyone who got better solution is welcome to feedback.

Thanks in advance :)

From Steve

Steve

Hi,

I just found that disable the connection pooling in the web.config
will solve the problem by adding "pooling = false"

May i know what will be the bad consequence if i disable the
connection pooling for Asp.net app.

Thanks.

From Steve