    Guest Guest

    How do I create aspnet.mdf on a production machine?
    How do I administer users on a production machine?

    Guest, Jan 19, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Phillip,
    That article tells me how to connect to a SQLExpress database. It tells me
    nothing about membership and roles that are administered on a website with
    the ASPNETDB.MDF.
    In Visual Studio there is a ASP.Net configuration for members and roles, but
    this tool may not deploy to production.
    How can I administer users in production?

    Guest, Jan 20, 2006

    Guest Guest

    You cannot. Under the same section where the link that I posted was, there
    is another article that applies to your question on roles:

    Quoted from the above article
    "SQL Server Express Edition
    When a process attaches to a SQL Server Express Edition database (.mdf
    file), the process must have administrative permissions. In general, this
    makes SQL Server Express Edition databases impractical for production Web
    sites because the ASP.NET process does not (and should not) run with
    administrative privileges. Therefore, use SQL Server Express Edition
    databases only under the following circumstances:

    Use as a test database while developing your Web application. When you are
    ready to deploy your application, you can transfer the database from SQL
    Server Express Edition to a production instance of SQL Server.

    Use if you are running a Web site that can use impersonation and you can
    control the privileges of the impersonated user. In practice, this strategy
    is practical only if the application is running on a local area network (not
    a public Web site).

    Store the .mdf file in your site's App_Data folder, because the contents of
    the folder will not be returned to direct HTTP requests. You should also map
    the .mdf extension to ASP.NET in IIS and to the HttpForbiddenHandler handler
    in ASP.NET using the following element in the site's Web.config file:

    <httpHandlers>
    <add verb="*" path="*.mdf" type="System.Web.HttpForbiddenHandler" />
    </httpHandlers>
    "

    Guest, Jan 20, 2006

    Guest Guest

    Phillip,

    An end user instance of a sqlexpress database runs just fine in the app_data
    folder in a website. It works fine with sql authentication.
    A sqlexpress database is ideal for a small non-profit organisation that
    can't buy a complere SQL server.

    Arne.

    Guest, Jan 20, 2006