Assembly directive not working

G Dean Blake

I wrote and deployed a control with the assembly name of GP to the GAC of
another dev box via drag and drop. a web page using this control has:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="cc1" Namespace="GP" Assembly="GP" %>

The docs and books I have say that this should be enough for the page to
find the assembly in the GAC at run time but it does not find it. I am
having to put a copy of my GP.dll in the ASP.NET application Bin directory
for it to work.

Why doesn't it find it in the GAC?
Thanks,

Guest

Hi,
At least you have to add reference of that dll to ur application. The
simple example is of the assemblies, the .NET framework provides us. We have
these assemblies in GAC but yet we have to add their reference to our
application.
Assembly keeps the list of referenced assemblies. To add external
assembly to this list you have to add reference of that assembly to your
project and need to build it.
While deploying the assembly, you dont have to take care of location of
assembly.
CLR will load the assemblies refered by ur application from local directory,
if not found then from GAC.

G Dean Blake

But.... GP is in the GAC and when I go to add a reference it won't let me
include GP in the GAC. I have to point it to the .dll file somewhere else
on the machine. How do I add the reference?