Assigning to references

Dave

Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I only
want my reference member to refer to a new object; I'm not actually copying
an object. Why should operator= come into play? After all, I can pass a
reference to bar_t as a parameter just fine even though the copy constructor
is also inaccessible.

Assuming though that my compiler is behaving properly, I won't be able to
take this approach regardless of whether or not I understand why it's
disallowed. With that in mind, what's my next best alternative to create an
effect similar to what the code below attempts?

Thanks!
Dave

P.S. In case anyone is tempted to ask "What are you trying to do?", bar_t
corresponds to ofstream and foo_t corresponds to one of my application
classes. I need to contain an ofstream for logging, and I need to be able
to change that stream occassionally (i.e. start logging to a different
place).

class bar_t
{
public:
bar_t() {}

private:
bar_t(const bar_t &); // Leave undefined
bar_t &operator=(const bar_t &); // Leave undefined
};

class foo_t
{
public:
foo_t(): bar(initial_bar) {}
void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

private:
bar_t initial_bar; // Must come *before* member bar as it is used to
initialize bar.
bar_t &bar;
};

Peter van Merkerk

[...]

I think the error message put you on the wrong track. The compiler isn't
complaining about the assignment operator of the bar_t class. The real
problem is that C++ references in C++ are not assignable. They must
always be initialized and cannot be reseated later.
Assuming though that my compiler is behaving properly, I won't be able to
take this approach regardless of whether or not I understand why it's
disallowed. With that in mind, what's my next best alternative to create an
effect similar to what the code below attempts?

If you need the bar member to reference another object at some point in
your program, the bar member must be a pointer.

[comp.lang.c++.moderated cross-post removed since it slows down

Jack Adam

Dave said:
Hello all,
foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=.

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I only
want my reference member to refer to a new object; I'm not actually copying
an object. Why should operator= come into play? After all, I can pass a
reference to bar_t as a parameter just fine even though the copy constructor
is also inaccessible.

You cannot do that in C++; a reference always refers to the object with
which it is initialized.
With that in mind, what's my next best alternative to create an
effect similar to what the code below attempts?

Pointers can be reassigned to refer to different objects.

HTH,
Jack

Dan Cernat

Dave said:
Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference?

not much analisys done but one thought:
references are *NOT* pointers. a reference is an alias (if you want) or a
different name for a variable. you initialise it and use it like any other
variable (use . not -> to call methods). The compiler may transform the
reference into a pointer, but this is only an implementation detail. So,
yes, you need an operator=

my 2c

/dan
<snip>

R.F. Pels

Dave said:
P.S. In case anyone is tempted to ask "What are you trying to do?", bar_t
corresponds to ofstream and foo_t corresponds to one of my application
classes. I need to contain an ofstream for logging, and I need to be able
to change that stream occassionally (i.e. start logging to a different
place).

NOW you're telling us :)

std::eek:fstream log("foo", somemode);
log.close();
log.open("bar", somemode);

and in case you're afraid that someone uses your logging class in the mean
time, use two references, one unused, create the new stream and assign to
the unused reference, then assign the previously unused reference to the
previously used reference.

Cy Edmunds

Dave said:
Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? [snip]

Because you can't reassign a reference in C++. I have already given you the
answer to this problem twice now in a previous thread.

Daniel Spangenberg

Hello Dave,
[...]

A reference in C++ is very near what we would name an "alias" of what it is
refering to. After initialization bar **is** the object of type T it was
initialized with,
thus an assignment to it calls the copy assignment operator of T.
References as function parameters behave as a transfer capsule from its actual
argument to the function internal accessor. The call

bar_t bobject;
set_bar(bobject);

creates a reference which binds to bobject. This reference is now available
inside
set_bar and no copy operation takes during function entry. This case is
different from

bar_t bobject;
bar_t& bref = bobject;

bref = bobject;

where the (non-initialization) assignment effectivly copies bobject into itself.

References as function parameters were quite useless, if they would call the
copy assignment operator of T, because this would make them not different
from "call-by-value".
Assuming though that my compiler is behaving properly, I won't be able to
take this approach regardless of whether or not I understand why it's
disallowed. With that in mind, what's my next best alternative to create an
effect similar to what the code below attempts?

Use a pointer instead of a reference. Pointer do have two states (assigned and
not assigned) and thus can change between states (Reassignment is also allowed).

In many cases a reference is more appropriate than a pointer, because you don't
need to test, whether it is assigned or not: Once initialized it always is
assigned to the
same object!

In your case you want to allow a redirection of the target, you are "refering"
to,
so you need a pointer. This also makes you responsible for checking whether
the given pointer is a null pointer constant (not assigned) or not (assigned).

Hope that helps,

Daniel Spangenberg

Joshua Lehrer

Dave said:
Hello all,

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I only

In C++, once a reference is seated, it can not be re-seated. You may
modify the referant, but you may not make it refer to a different
object.

"bar = b" calls operator= on 'bar', passing in 'b'.

It has to be this way. If 'bar=b' re-seated 'bar', how would you call
operator=?

If you want to have a reference and change what it refers to, use a
pointer:

pbar=&b;

*pbar << "hello" << endl;

joshua lehrer
factset research systems
NYSE:FDS

Maciej Sobczak

Hi,
The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible.
class bar_t
{

bar_t &operator=(const bar_t &); // Leave undefined

That's why.
You cannot assgn to bar_t, because you have explicitly forbid it.
Note that:

- you cannot "reseat" the reference, and
- the reference always denotes some object

so the instruction:

bar = b;

tries to *assign* what is denoted by 'b' to what is denoted by 'bar'. In
other words, the above instruction tries to assign one bar_t object to
another, which is explicitly forbidden.

If you need to achieve the effect of reseating (without the possibility
to assign), consider using pointers instead of references.

I've used pointers recently in exactly the same context (logging ostream
object associated with another object).
class foo_t
{
public:
foo_t(): bar(initial_bar) {}
void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

bar = &b;
private:
bar_t &bar;

bar_t *bar;

Gerhard Menzl

Dave said:
foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy
constructor or operator=. It is not within my control to change
bar_t. Furthermore, I need to be able to update the contained bar_t
at runtime (hence the set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible.
Why should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a
reference? I only want my reference member to refer to a new object;
I'm not actually copying an object. Why should operator= come into
play? After all, I can pass a reference to bar_t as a parameter just
fine even though the copy constructor is also inaccessible.

The problem is that references cannot be reassigned. Luckily enough, the
solution is simple: use a pointer.

Gerhard Menzl

Nils Petter Vaskinn

Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

class foo_t {
public:
foo_t(bar_t *b);
void set_bar(bar_t *b) {bar = b;}
void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = &b;}
private:
bar_t *bar;
}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I only
want my reference member to refer to a new object; I'm not actually copying
an object. Why should operator= come into play? After all, I can pass a
reference to bar_t as a parameter just fine even though the copy constructor
is also inaccessible.

You are calling the assignment operator, when you do "bar = b". The copy
constructor has nothing to do with it.
P.S. In case anyone is tempted to ask "What are you trying to do?", bar_t
corresponds to ofstream and foo_t corresponds to one of my application
classes. I need to contain an ofstream for logging, and I need to be able
to change that stream occassionally (i.e. start logging to a different
place).

class Logger {
public:
Logger();

void setStream(ostream &stream);

ostream& stream();
ostream& operator << (...);
private:
ostream *myStream;

Logger log(std::cout);

log.stream() << "blah\n";

JarlOstensen

Dave said:
Hello all,
Hi Dave,

The answer is short and harsh I'm afraid. The Standard, (8.5.3-2),
states:

"A reference can not be changed to refer to another object
after initialization."

and this is exactly what you have hit upon. The compiler is happy
initialising
your reference in the ctor of foo_t, but after that it will not allow
bar to change. So, when you say

bar = b

the compiler resolves this to

deref(bar)->operator=( b );

which fails since operator= is private.

-=jarl

David Turner

Dave said:
Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I
only

You Can't Change References. Once it has been constructed, a reference
behaves exactly like the object it refers to (it is an "alias" for that
object). Assigning to it is exactly the same as assigning to the original
object. Consider this code:

int a = 1;
int& b = a; // b refers to a
b = 2; // Now a == 2. "b" is simply an alias for "a".
int& c; // This is an error. You can't have a reference that doesn't
refer to anything.
int& d = b; // d refers to b, which is the same as a
b = d; // Exactly equivalent to "a = a".

Contrast this with the behaviour of pointers:

int a = 1;
int* b = &a; // b points to a
*b = 2; // Now a == 2.
int c = 3;
int* d = &c; // d points to c
b = d; // b points to whatever d points to (i.e. c)
c = 4;
assert(*b == 4);
// Note the contrast of *b, meaning the object b points to, and b, the
pointer itself.
// References make no such distinction; you are always referring to the
referenced object.

Assuming though that my compiler is behaving properly, I won't be able to
take this approach regardless of whether or not I understand why it's
disallowed. With that in mind, what's my next best alternative to create an
effect similar to what the code below attempts?

What you probably meant to do is have the member bar be a *pointer*.

For example:

class foo_t
{
bar_t* bar;
public:
foo_t(): bar(0) { }
void set_bar(bar_t& b) { bar = &b; }
void do_something() { bar->do_something(); }
};

Bear in mind that, unlike a reference, a pointer will not extend the
lifetime of the object it points to. So if you were to write code like
this:

void give_me_a_bar(foo_t& foo)
{
bar_t bar;
foo.set_bar(bar);
}

int main()
{
foo_t foo;
give_me_a_bar(foo);
foo.do_something(); // crash here
}

then the Result Is Undefined.

Regards
David Turner

Ben Hutchings

Dave wrote:
foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference?
<snip>

You misunderstand what a reference is. Assigning to a reference
means assigning to the object it refers to, not binding the
reference to another object.

You need to store a pointer instead, and use unary * and &
operators to convert between pointers and references.

Francis Glassborow

Dave said:
[...]

You have misunderstood what a reference is in C++. It is purely a name
that is bound to an existing object and the language does not provide a
normal mechanism for rebinding the name to a different object.
operator=() deals with objects and values not with names so bar = b
requires that the value of b be assigned to the object referred to by
bar. As there is no operator=() for the type in question this cannot be
done.

The special property of reference parameters is that binding between
name and object takes place as part of the process of calling the
function so that parameter name can be bound to many different objects,
but each time that binding is for the duration of the function call.

The best you can do is to explicitly change any publicly writable
characteristics of the object:

void change_bar(bar_t& b){
bar.write_val1(b.read_val1());
bar.write_val2(b.read_val2());
etc.
}

But be very careful if your process is multi-threaded because it seems
that bar is a global variable and so the above process must be protected
by something such as a mutex.

Nicola Musatti

Dave said:
[...]

You cannot reset a reference. The instruction above tries to assign
directly to bar. The solution is to define bar as a pointer to a bar_t
and change set_bar() to

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = &b;}

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

Antoun Kanawati

Dave wrote:

| Hello all,
|
| Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
| having.
|
| foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
| or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t.
Furthermore, I
| need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
| set_bar() method seen below).
|
| The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:
|
| void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}
|
| This fails to compile with a message that operator= is inaccessible. Why
| should this be a problem since I'm trying to assign to a reference? I
only
| want my reference member to refer to a new object; I'm not actually
copying
| an object. Why should operator= come into play? After all, I can pass a
| reference to bar_t as a parameter just fine even though the copy
constructor
| is also inaccessible.

You never assign *to* references, you assign *through* references.

A reference is a different name for an object, and must be bound
when created, and can never be rebound.

References are second class citizens in the C++ world.

You cannot have references to references, you cannot have pointers
to references, if you take the address of a reference (operator&)
you get the address of the referent that the reference is bound
to, etc...

If you're familiar with Pascal, a reference is like adding the
keyword "var" in front of a parameter in a parameter list.

procedure foo(a: integer); begin ... end;
procedure bar(var a: integer); begin ... end;

In C++, we would say:

void foo(int a) { ... }
void bar(int &a) { ... }

In either case, the name "a" in procedure "bar" is, for
all practical purposes, an int-typed variable; it just happens
to be stored differently from the "a" in "foo".

Simon Bone

Hello all,

Please consider the code below. It is representative of a problem I am
having.

foo_t needs to contain a bar_t which is a class without a copy constructor
or operator=. It is not within my control to change bar_t. Furthermore, I
need to be able to update the contained bar_t at runtime (hence the
set_bar() method seen below).

The code *almost* works. Here's the problematic line:

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

C++ references are just aliases to existing objects; they cannot be
reseated. Try using a pointer instead, since that has the meaning you are
after here.

HTH,

Simon Bone

Ron

[...]

The compiler accepts the line

foo_t(): bar(initial_bar) {}

-- even though bar_t has no accessible copy constructor -- because
this line binds the reference "bar" to the member variable
"initial_bar". The line

void set_bar(bar_t &b) {bar = b;}

fails to compile because it's asking the compiler to copy the object
"b" into the object to which the reference "bar" is bound.

Huh? That's right: references can be bound only once. After they're
bound, they refer to the same object forever*. Section 8.5.3(2):

A reference cannot be changed to refer to another object after
initialization. Note that initialization of a reference
is treated very differently from assignment to it....

Thus:

int i;
int &r = i; // r is now an alias for i
r = 3; // i now == 3. r DOES NOT refer to the rvalue "3".
r = 6; // i now == 6

-Ron

* Putting aside nasssty treacherous rebinding tricks using explicit
destructor calls and placement new.

Dave

Dave said:
[...]

I had sent an earlier post that for some reason didn't get through (and some
of you may have noticed that for some reason, my original post got posted
twice; sorry about that...). So, I'm having some trouble here. In any
case, I just wanted to thank everyone for all of the responses. I can't
believe I had such a massive mental lapse! Your points are very well made
and very well taken!

As long as I'm writing, I'll make one more query. This is purely out of
curiosity - I'm not trying to do anything specific. And of course, if there
*is* a way to do what I'm about to ask about, it would no doubt be very
ill-advised so, again, this is purely out of curiosity...

One poster mentioned the possibility of re-binding a reference by destroying
the old rerferent with a manual destructor call and then using placement new
to construct the new object in the same memory. Though ill-advised, this
does sound like a standard-conforming way to do it. This got me to
wondering...

Is there some sort of treacherous trick that would allow us to get the
address of the reference (as opposed to the referent)? Is a reference even
guaranteed to *have* an address, or might it be just a simple compile-time
alias for the referent? I'd be interested to here any thoughts on all of
this...

Thanks again,
Dave