ATTN: Java Programmer Required for small GPL project

Guest

I'm looking to create a front end for an API to interface with a Nokia
mobile to do the following:
-Front end to check 1-many pop3/imap accounts for new mail
-If new mail is received and fits some criteria (i.e. matches/doesn't match
certain mail header information) a text message alert is sent to a preset
mobile number using the API for that email account.
-Receive text messages and convert to email (providing the sender's number
meets a set list of numbers) and forward.

I am not a programmer, and require a programmer to get involved in this
project.
The result of the project would be a GPL licensed open source piece of
software that can be freely distributed.
Reputation would be earned from the project.
There is no money involved in this. It's merely for me to have this utility
and use myself and to distribute it openly to others for there use.

If you wish to take part in this project please reply to this post and I
will check back within a few days.

Thanks
Mike

Marco Schmidt

<<<<3mDee>>>>:

[...]
There is no money involved in this. It's merely for me to have this utility
and use myself and to distribute it openly to others for there use.

So you need a program, can't do it yourself, want someone else to do
it for you for free, and want that person to give his work away under
the GPL. Shouldn't there be at least something attractive in your
proposal? Right, the reputation...

BTW, you increase your visibility (read: you avoid landing in many
kill files automatically) by not using a chatroom nick in a technical
Usenet group.

Regards,
Marco

3

3mDe3

I didn't say it was a particularly attractive offer, or an offer at all in
fact, more of a request for help.
You correct that I need a program and can't do it myself and want someone to
help, but then I don't see that my offer is SO bad.
I don't want to license software, I want to make it freely available. Ok the
code doesn't *have* to be freely available but it would be nice.

Also, it's not a chatroom nick, I don't do chatrooms. And I don't put my
full name in newsgroups.
I like to keep as much information off of a newsgroup as possible, received
far too much spam from it in the past.

I could sit there for months on end and learn how to program Java but it's
not useful in my field of work and so would be fairly pointless to learn for
one app.

It's only a small app, just a front end and a bit of fairly standard work
with email. The most complicated bit is with the API but then the API itself
is pretty well documented and so shouldn't be an issue.
I'd say, aside from me converying my ideas it's less than a weeks part-time
work.

Who know's if a good working rapport is struck up I may come up with some
applications that are more profitable, in fact I'm already working on a
additional set of complimentary apps that could be marketted to businesses.

Jon H

... as someone who works for nothing?

That's moderately better than not working for nothing...

(If you haven't been able to find a job, it might be somewhat useful
to at least be able to point to a GPL project you've been working on,
so recruiters can figure out you haven't just been watching Jerry
Springer and stuffing your face with pork rinds.)

Andrew Thompson

Jon H said:
That's moderately better than not working for nothing...

In some situations I'd agree.

Working for a 'Fortune 100' (is that what they call them?)
company on a well supported, carefully thought out
project may gain you cred.

OTOH working for a pimply kid on usenet who did not
want to provide an addresss (as opposed to - contact
me from my site..) to fill in his 'bunch of random
hand-waving' ideas in a project that should take
'no more than a week' (I liked that bit, someone
who does not understand the language quessing
how easy it would be) would gain you a reputation
as a sucker..

Feel free to take him up on his offer.

3

3mDe3

... as someone who works for nothing?
That's moderately better than not working for nothing...

(If you haven't been able to find a job, it might be somewhat useful
to at least be able to point to a GPL project you've been working on,
so recruiters can figure out you haven't just been watching Jerry
Springer and stuffing your face with pork rinds.)

So you up for it?

3

3mDe3

That's moderately better than not working for nothing...
In some situations I'd agree.

Working for a 'Fortune 100' (is that what they call them?)
company on a well supported, carefully thought out
project may gain you cred.

OTOH working for a pimply kid on usenet who did not
want to provide an addresss (as opposed to - contact
me from my site..) to fill in his 'bunch of random
hand-waving' ideas in a project that should take
'no more than a week' (I liked that bit, someone
who does not understand the language quessing
how easy it would be) would gain you a reputation
as a sucker..

1/. Not a pimply kid, just not a coder
2/. You could work out my email address from my posts, it's not going to
take a scientist to do so but I like to disguise my addresses as much as
possible nowadays as I've been the subject of domain spoofinf twice now and
I don't like it much.
3/. I didn't say I don't understand the language, just that I'm no
programmer. There's a certain degree of nack to programming, imho. I mean
yeah you can *learn* to program but to truly be a great programmer you have
to have a degree of something else other than knowledge.
4/. I believe in free software. I know this doesn't work well with the
capitalist society we work in.

3

3mDe3

Seeing as there's been negative responses to my initial posting how would
you guys suggest going about recruiting someone for no money?

Ganesan R

That's moderately better than not working for nothing...
(If you haven't been able to find a job, it might be somewhat useful
to at least be able to point to a GPL project you've been working on,
so recruiters can figure out you haven't just been watching Jerry
Springer and stuffing your face with pork rinds.)

In which case you'd probably want to pick your own project to work on,
rather than on something Joe Random Poster wants.

Ganesan

Harald Hein

3mDe3 said:
Seeing as there's been negative responses to my initial posting
how would you guys suggest going about recruiting someone for no
money?

Get a real job (the consulting business doesn't work to well?), earn
the money and hire a programmer.

3

3mDe3

Harald Hein said:
Get a real job (the consulting business doesn't work to well?), earn
the money and hire a programmer.

I have a real job. Hence not having the time to learn Java myself.
I don't want half arsed hashed code, I want something well built.

Chris Smith

3mDe3 said:
Seeing as there's been negative responses to my initial posting how would
you guys suggest going about recruiting someone for no money?

You need to understand something about open source. It works because
people write code. It doesn't work because people have good ideas.
Good ideas are cheap, and despite the sheer number of people who operate
as if it were otherwise, there is no shortage of ideas for open source
programmers. Sorry if this shatters your dreams of open-source success,
but you are not contributing any kind of valuable service by posting to
USENET with an idea about an open source project.

Successful open source software projects are introduced with a statement
like "I wrote this ode to do something useful, and I'd like to share it.
Maybe you'll find it useful." Catastrophic failures in open-source
start are introduced with "I have this cool idea and want to gather a
team of programmers to work on it." If you can't make the former kind
of statement, my suggestion is that you either don't bother trying, or
get the point where you can.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Roedy Green

Successful open source software projects are introduced with a statement
like "I wrote this ode to do something useful, and I'd like to share it.
Maybe you'll find it useful." Catastrophic failures in open-source
start are introduced with "I have this cool idea and want to gather a
team of programmers to work on it." If you can't make the former kind
of statement, my suggestion is that you either don't bother trying, or
get the point where you can.

have a look at how many ideas I have put out into the ozone at
http://mindprod.com/projects.html

The only ones I know of that have actually been implemented were ones
I did myself. Except for SCIDS none of my ideas seems nearly as
exciting to others as they did to me.

Jon H

You need to understand something about open source. It works because
people write code. It doesn't work because people have good ideas.
Good ideas are cheap, and despite the sheer number of people who operate
as if it were otherwise, there is no shortage of ideas for open source
programmers. Sorry if this shatters your dreams of open-source success,
but you are not contributing any kind of valuable service by posting to
USENET with an idea about an open source project.

Successful open source software projects are introduced with a statement
like "I wrote this ode to do something useful,"
^^^

Open Source Poetry?

Brad BARCLAY

3mDe3 said:
I have a real job. Hence not having the time to learn Java myself.
I don't want half arsed hashed code, I want something well built.

The problem with something that is _too_ well built is that potential
Open Source developers may be hard to come by to help improve the
project (unless it's something that can be readily extended for other uses).

After all, why volunteer to work on something that already works? :)

Brad BARCLAY

su-news

The problem with something that is _too_ well built is that potential
Open Source developers may be hard to come by to help improve the
project (unless it's something that can be readily extended for other uses).

After all, why volunteer to work on something that already works? :)

So you would prefer source code that is not well bullt? Just because
other people now have an opportunity to make it better??

P.S. Hi Brad!

Brad BARCLAY

So you would prefer source code that is not well bullt? Just because
other people now have an opportunity to make it better??

Not at all. I'm simply advocating that a first release doesn't
necessarily have to be perfect. It should be designed with
extensibility in mind (as that's what other people will want to do with
any useful project -- find a way to extend it to other uses, or for use
in their _own_ projects), but should also be quickly available.

Projects that have an extremely long, drawn-out first release because
the developer(s) are aiming for "perfection" can cause others to lose
interest really quickly. One of the mantras of Open Source development
is "Release Early, Release Often" for a very good reason :).
P.S. Hi Brad!

Hey -- how's it going? ;)

Brad BARCLAY