Banners Question

Maxwell

I have very little experience with Web design and have a question about
banner graphics. I've seen Web sites where a banner graphic is cut into
small pieces (made into individual files) and each piece is placed in a
cell, as opposed to keeping the graphic intact. What's the reason for this?

example: www.maxsofmanila.com

Thanks.
George

Carolyn Marenger

I have very little experience with Web design and have a question about
banner graphics. I've seen Web sites where a banner graphic is cut into
small pieces (made into individual files) and each piece is placed in a
cell, as opposed to keeping the graphic intact. What's the reason for this?

example: www.maxsofmanila.com

Thanks.
George

I am sure this isn't the only reason, but one reason might be...

Many browsers/firewalls have the ability to and are set to block graphics
set to a specific size. Many banners are actually ads, and they often
conform to certain size standards. Chopping the files into pieces, would
probably bypass the browsers and firewalls that would otherwise stop the
banner from displaying.

Carolyn

Michael Haworth

There is a few other possibilities, such as mapping out the graphic into
multiple links or sectioning it so that the people with 2400 baud modems can
at least see part of the graphic before they grow old and senile... And
there could always be the graphic designer that just figured out that he can
slice graphics (like those that first discover Flash) and wants to use it on
any graphic that is designed...

Travis Newbury

Michael said:
There is a few other possibilities, such as mapping out the graphic into
multiple links or sectioning it so that the people with 2400 baud modems can
at least see part of the graphic before they grow old and senile... And
there could always be the graphic designer that just figured out that he can
slice graphics (like those that first discover Flash) and wants to use it on
any graphic that is designed...

What are you talking about? Who are you talking to?